Smoking first pork shoulder?

Started by Scameron7, July 26, 2014, 06:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scameron7

I just got my smoker 2 weeks ago and smoked ribs and sausage last week tuned out great! So i bought a pork shoulder roast last night to do today,when it is done and i take it out of the smoker do u have to wrap it in foil and let it stand or can i pull it apart then?

TedEbear

I've taken mine right out of the smoker and pulled them.  If you have the time it would be a good idea to FTC it for a couple of hours to let the juices redistribute.  However, I've never really noticed much difference, whether I FTC afterward or not.  Some people swear by the FTC (foil, towel, cooler).

Quarlow

Welcome to the forum. Have you done Butts before? Just wondering if you have given yourself enough time. A butt can take as much as 36 hrs. Weight is a factor but not the whole decider. Connective tissue takes time to break down so you can pull the meat. Of course that is if you are going to pull it. Low and slow is the answer. If you are pulling it and planned to eat it for lunch you probably should grab some Mickey Dee's. lol
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Wildcat

In my opinion if you slow smoke/cook (180 to 225 F) cabinet temp until the butt passes the fork test there is no need to FTC. FTC actually allows it to continue to cook or maintain the temperature to keep it hot until time to serve (up to around 4 or 5 hours). If you just want the juices to redistribute, cover loosely with foil and let it rest on the kitchen counter until cool enough to handle.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Scameron7

The pork shoulder was 5.5lbs I cooked it from 9:30am to 5:30pm and the internal temp was 190 when I took it off, it's now been resting for 1.5 under foil. Does this temp seem right or have I fallen off the rails.

Wildcat

If the true internal meat temp was 190 then it is done. The fork test is best. If you cooked at a cabinet temp of say 200, then it was probably done around a met temp of about 170 to 180. If you cooked that low then the meat may be a little more mushy than you prefer. I do not mind it being a little mushy myself. If you cooked at a cabinet temp of around 220 then 190 meat temp is probably perfect. I would say it is ready to pull. It might even fall apart without pulling. I only let it rest long enough to handle without scalding myself.

We like pictures.

Habanero Smoker

I rarely FTC  a butt, because I cook ahead of time, and cook it until meat is to the texture I like. I use temperature and the fork test to test for doness. When it is done, I place it in a roasting pan, and tent it until it is cool enough to handle. By placing the butt in a roasting pan to shred it, you don't have to worry about having the butt rest for the juices redistribute. The juices will be captured in the pan, and absorbed in the meat

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Scameron7

So the shoulder turned out fantastic, tender and juicy! I also did a chicken and it turned out great. Thanks for all the info,this site is awesome!! I would post pics but I don't have that figured out :-\

TedEbear

Quote from: Scameron7 on July 27, 2014, 05:07:12 AMI would post pics but I don't have that figured out :-\

It's a fairly simple process.  The Reader's Digest version is you upload your pic(s) to a free host site, such as Photobucket.  To the right of each pic on Photobucket you'll see a box that says "IMG". Left click anywhere in that box and the contents will automatically be copied onto your clipboard.  Paste those contents into a message on here.  You can click on the "Preview" button to see that it worked before posting your message.

Scameron7

Quarlow

Nice looking meat. Looks like a huge success.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Wildcat

Congratulations. Great butt, wonderful chicken, and even learned how to post pictures all in a short period of time. You must be a youngster. Takes us old dogs a little longer to catch on.

Scameron7

Thanks for the great responses! I think I may have a smoking addiction!!