Puck burner doesn't turn off

Started by tsuri, July 27, 2014, 07:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsuri

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this. After my last smoke, I switched off the burner and the moved the temp control lever to off.  I assumed the unit was off.  The next day I came out to take the racks out for a good scrubbing and noticed the temp in the unit to be about 150 degrees. The main burner was off, but the puck burner was on! The switch clearly was off, but the orange light was on. Flipped the switch on/off, on/off, on/off.  The light wouldn't go off.  So I unplugged the unit and it went off. Plugged it back in and and the light came right back.  Unplugged it again and left alone for a week.  Plugged it in a week later and it all seemed normal again.  No light.
A few weeks later, I did another smoke and again the light wouldn't switch off after wards.  So I plugged it and left it for a week, but now when I plug it back in, the light is on from the start.  When the light is on the burner is getting warm.
It doesn't cause major harm to keep unplugging the unit between smokes, but I like my possessions to be in top working condition.

Thanks for any help.

Habanero Smoker

It sounds like you have a faulty switch that needs to be replace. It looks like you are outside the warranty period, but if you are under warranty call Bradley. If not you may be able to find that switch at an electronic store, Lowes or Home Depot that sell electrical supplies. Before removing the switch take a photo of it, and the terminals should be numbered. Make sure you note which wire goes to each post. If they are not numbered, one post will be copper color.

One other possibility is that there may be something cross shorting the terminals, so while you have the generator opened give it a good cleaning.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tsuri

Thanks, I'll take a look. BTW, how long is the warranty period?

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)