Cajun Pork Chops cooked Sous Vide

Started by OldHickory, July 27, 2014, 11:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldHickory

I have wanted to try this method of cooking so took the plunge.  I have had this slow cooker for years so half of the equipment was already here.

My equipment.

Pork Loin chops 1 1/4" after 1hr. cold smoke and Cajun seasoning.

After 3 1/2 hr. SV @ 140*

Rest while preparing the vegs.  Then 1 hr. in a covered Dutch Oven to braise.

My lunch plate.

The taste was wonderful, but the meat was a little tough.  Next time tenderize first and cook longer, probably 7 hr.  Yes and more corn. ;) ;)
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

iceman

Love that style of cooking. Looks like a great meal. I usually do thick chops for 7-10 hrs.

OldHickory

Thanks Iceman, 7 hr. it is for next time. 
Char-Broil SRG
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Habanero Smoker

Your meal looks good. I enjoy using sous vide method of cooking. The meat may have tightened up when you braised the chops. For chops I use different times than Iceman. Depending on thickness I will sous vide for 2 - 6 hours. The thickness of your chops I would probably cook 2 - 3 hours. I generally will fully cook the food, if items like meat you want to  add some char or color, I just throw them in iron pan with melted butter and crushed garlic (removing the garlic before it burns), and reverse sear the meat at a high temperature. Instead of adding the chops to the vegetable in a crock pot, you may want to sous vide the vegetable in another pouch, or add them in the same pouch as the pork chops.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OldHickory

Thanks Habs.  Another good idea on how to handle this.  I am having fun with this, and the taste so far is SOoooo good.
Char-Broil SRG
Pit Barrel Smoker

Saber 4

WoodlawnSmoker

It does look good!  I hadn't heard of sous vide cooking until I joined this forum.  I'm still unsure but I'm following these threads with interest.  I guess right now I'm still having a blast with the smoking.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: WoodlawnSmoker on July 27, 2014, 02:37:11 PM
It does look good!  I hadn't heard of sous vide cooking until I joined this forum.  I'm still unsure but I'm following these threads with interest.  I guess right now I'm still having a blast with the smoking.

You can combine the two. :) You can cold smoke a cut of meat for about 40 minutes, vacuum seal and sous vide.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 28, 2014, 01:49:37 AM
Quote from: WoodlawnSmoker on July 27, 2014, 02:37:11 PM

You can combine the two. :) You can cold smoke a cut of meat for about 40 minutes, vacuum seal and sous vide.

Hab is spot on about combining the two. The cold smoke first then cook adds that extra touch.
The 7 hour time I mentioned was for the thick 1 1/2 to 2 inch thick chops. Ann likes them thick then I slice a pocket in and stuff them with a spicy crab mixture then drizzle a jalapeƱo white cheese sauce over them.

OldHickory

Iceman, you would have to add this. :) :) ;)  I'm sure you had some wonderful fresh Alaskan crab for the stuffing.  Now I am hungry again.
Char-Broil SRG
Pit Barrel Smoker

Habanero Smoker

I've never tried stuffed pork chops. That will definitely go on my list.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

WoodlawnSmoker

I'm definitely intrigued with sous vide, keep posting your successes please.  Maybe something to consider for the winter.  It does look good!