Smokey Aioli

Started by ppclaire, July 27, 2014, 09:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppclaire

Hi

I am going to do some experimenting with making a smoked aioli, maybe smoking some garlic and red peppers then adding to my home made mayonnaise? I make Aioli in my thermomix all the time but am only new to the world of smoking?

Any tips or hints or recipes that anyone has tried?

Thanks in Advance

Pia

Habanero Smoker

I'm beginning to get into aioli. Just this weekend I had beef fat fried French fries, with a garlic aioli sauce. They were great.

If you make your own mayonnaise, you have a few options. You could cold smoke the garlic and peppers, but you can also experiment with trying to infuse the oil with smoke. I have infused oil with smoke in the past, with varying amounts of success. I measured success by the flavor of smoke, which can vary greatly from each batch. I've always used pecan to smoke with. That is my preference, but the fruit woods would also be a good choice. I found it is best to over smoke the oil, that way you can dilute it later with more oil to obtain the strength of flavor you want.

I pour the oil in a low sided pan that will fit into my smoker and hot smoke it between 150 - 180°F; stirring occasionally. You could cold smoke, but using a higher temperature, the oil will pick up more smoke in a shorter period of time. The greater amount of surface expose to the smoke the more smoke flavor you will obtain. I always make smoked oils in small batches, no greater than one pint. Mainly because I don't use oils that often, and making more would just go rancid by the time I get to using them, though refrigerating it will extend the life. Olive oil, and peanut oils are good to use, but a neutral canola oil give the best smoke flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ppclaire

Thanks so much for you response. I am going to try and infuse some oil, hadn't even thought to do that.

I will let you know how I go, going to make some aioli in the next couple of days.

Habanero Smoker

Let us know how you make out.

I had to google thermomix. Looks like the Swiss knife of kitchen appliances. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Salmonsmoker

Wow! Is the price on the Thermomix for real?
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

tskeeter

Habs, can you give us a starting point for how long to smoke something like canola oil?  Hadn't thought of something like smokey aioli, but it sounds really good.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: tskeeter on July 29, 2014, 11:00:34 AM
Habs, can you give us a starting point for how long to smoke something like canola oil?  Hadn't thought of something like smokey aioli, but it sounds really good.

It just basically placing the oil in a sallow pan, and smoking for about 4 hours. I stir about every 30 minutes. That should provide a nice smoky flavor. If it is too strong you and dilute it with more oil. Pour it in a bottle, and I allow it to "age" a few days, before deciding if you want to dilute it. I generally use mine in vinaigrettes, and occasionally for frying and stir fry. You can do something similar with liquids, but by using to cold smoke method to reduce the amount of evaporation.

When I smoke oil, I will try to find other items to smoke, so don't feel like I'm wasting anything; such as salt, peppercorns, vegetables etc.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

ppclaire

So I made my first batch and I'm going to say it's a freakin success.

Here's what I did.
Cut up one red capsicum ( that's what we call them in Aus), a red chilli, cut the top off a bulb of garlic, cut 2 tomatoes in half and scooped out the seeds.  seasoned it all with olive oil and salt and pepper. Put it in the smoker at 250f for a couple of hours until tender and garlic is squishy. (squeezed the garlic out of its skin and blitz all the ingredients in my thermomix or processor.

Made a batch of while egg mayo. About 300mls then mixed the  2 together. It's delicious and going to serve it tonight on some fish tacos.

ppclaire

Thermomix is ridiculously expensive but I love it. You have to love cooking I suppose and actually make sure you are going to use it. I mix my rubs in there, sometimes I toast the seeds in the bowl then add the rest and blitz. Last night I made a BBQ sauce in there and today I made aioli, salsa and mixed my dough in there. It's probably my most used piece of kitchen equipment.

Habanero Smoker

The aioli recipe sounds good. What flavor of bisquette did you use?

The thermomix looks like quite the kitchen appliance.

I
         don't
                   inhale.