Hand me down maintenance

Started by Seveneleven, July 28, 2014, 10:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seveneleven

Hi,

A friend just randomly handed me his old (well used) BTDS76p. All I have done so far is plug it all together and check that it is working. The display lit up, The heating element for the puck got warm, and the oven got warm.

I plan on degreasing the whole thing, cleaning the racks etc. Are there any other signs of malfunction that I should be looking for? Any input is appreciated.

tskeeter

7-11, you probably want to pull the shroud off the smoke generators and clean the wood flakes out of the smoke generator.  Blowing out the puck shuttle with compressed air is a good idea, too.

When you take the shroud off the smoke generator, only remove the 8 (I think) screws around the outside edge of the bottom.  These screws attach the shroud.  The screws in the middle of the bottom plate mount components.  Leave those screws alone.

You also want to scrape off any build up of residue on the puck burner and the feed chute to the puck burner.  I just make careful use of a steel putty knife with no burrs on the blade to avoid scratching the chute or puck burner.

Quarlow

Nice score, congrats. But I wouldn't degrease the cabinet. That is the seasoning you want. Just clean the racks good and the Bisquette burner and clean out the SG like tskeeter said and your done.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Seveneleven

Thanks guys, I will stick to only cleaning the outside of the cabinet. I thought that someone might suggest I save the "seasoning" it smelled great even just heating it up.

Going to take apart the smoke generator right now, thanks for the tip. I have a compressor so blowing it out should be a snap.

A little off topic but do either of you have an alternative link to the different modifications? The link that is passed around the forums here seems to not be working.

Thanks

KyNola

There are numerous threads on this Forum documenting different modifications.  A quick search of the Forum should provide you with all the information you need.

Seveneleven

Actually a quick search led me to posts discussing the modifications they made by following the instructions on the susan minor site. That site is not working. So I am unable to read the directions that they are discussing on this forums. That is why I asked if anyone had an alternative link.

Tenpoint5

They are having issues with the susan minor site at the moment. That is why they suggested searching the forum. Most everything that is on the susan minor site can be found on the forum with a bit more searching involved.

These links were posted by another member in a different thread

Here is a couple of links to threads on this forum.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8987.0

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8987.msg107713#msg107713

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16299.msg197892#msg197892
[/quote]
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!