Chicken Sausage for the MWSO V

Started by ragweed, July 29, 2014, 07:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragweed

I decided it was about time to make something for the MWSO.  So, I put together a batch of Kevin A's Chicken Sausage with Basil, Cheese & Sun-Dried Tomatoes.
Here's the spices and fixin's.  My Ulu worked great, BTW!

Coarse ground chicken thighs and legs plus a couple o'three Pheasant breasts, un-leaded.

Almost forgot the finished product pic!!

I fried up what was left in the stuffer and I'm glad I cut back on the garlic ;) ;)  It should still be enough to ward-off the vampires though!
Hope everyone enjoys.  :) :)

Tenpoint5

The chicken eaters should enjoy those!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

waycoolcat

Ragweed, I'm a chicken eater (and about every other bird or mammal), those look great. Where can I find "Kevin A's Chicken Sausage" recipe?
I want to be a better carnivore!

ragweed

Quote from: waycoolcat on July 29, 2014, 02:46:02 PM
Ragweed, I'm a chicken eater (and about every other bird or mammal), those look great. Where can I find "Kevin A's Chicken Sausage" recipe?

WCC:  My notes say "Kevin A, last edit June 25, 2012".  Look on this forum under sausage making.  If you can't find it, LMK, I post the recipe I use....Joe

waycoolcat

Found it! Here's a copy and paste:

Chicken Sausage
with Basil, Cheese & Sun-Dried tomatoes
Makes 5 pounds

4.75 lbs Chicken thighs & skins (2150 g)
1/2 cup fresh garlic, finely-chopped (60g)
2/3 cup fresh basil, chopped (40g)
4 tsp Kosher salt (30g)
1 Tbl Black pepper (7.2g)
1 tsp Nutmeg (2.2g)
1/2 tsp Allspice (1.0g)
2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (90g)**
2/3 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded (55g)
1/3 cup olive oil**
** soak sun-dried tomatoes in the olive oil for 2-3 days, room temp. Chop tomatoes into small pieces before mixing into meat
32mm hog casings

Partially freeze then grind the chicken with skins through a medium plate.
Mix all ingredients into the ground chicken & mix well until it forms a sticky paste.
Fry a sample to adjust seasoning, if necessary. Stuff into casings; 5-inch length.
Grill, fry or poach for later use.

cobra6223

Man I can't wait to get there for ALL the good food and these look tasty.

Tenpoint5

Heard good things from the Chicken eaters at the MWSO on these! Actually everyone that ate them enjoyed them. I was NOT one of them. Me NO LIKE CHICKEN!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

waycoolcat

Ragweed, I made a 5 lb batch of these the other day and we all really liked them. Lots of good garlic flavor.

I've made sausage in the past and put them in ziplock bags to freeze. However, a few months ago I got a VacMaster chamber vacuum. This is the first time I've made sausage in casings since I had a vacuum sealer.

I twisted the links several times and then snipped them with scissors. When I used the sealer the sausage smooched a little and the twisted ends came undone and the ends opened up some exposing the inner meat. I keep turning the vacuum pressure down to the point it wasn't really vacuum sealing, just sealing.

Is there something wrong with my technique? I guess I could freeze them first on a sheet, then bag and seal. Suggestions?

ragweed

You hit on it, WCC.  I freeze them on a cookie sheet, then cut them apart and vac seal. 

tailfeathers

I haven't pulled the trigger on a chamber sealer yet, but I freeze or at least partially freeze my fresh sausage before sealing for that exact reason. I lay the links out on freezer paper lined trays in the freezer and let get pretty hard before vac packing and they retain their shape very well that way. They flatten pretty bad otherwise.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

waycoolcat

Thanks for your quick replies. I'll freeze them first from now on.

Saber 4

As one of those chicken eaters at the MWSO I have to say they tasted fantastic, I'll have to make some for SWMBO soon.