Fridge Smoker and Thank You

Started by Single Malt, July 29, 2014, 11:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

renoman

what does the stand alone smoke generator do with the burnt pucks??

Mr Walleye

I think if you look in the 2nd last and 3rd last pictures, at the very bottom of the photo you can see what appears to be a guard that protects the elements from any dripping grease. I suspect he likely sets the puck bowl on it catch the spent pucks.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Single Malt

Hey all,

Sorry been away.  Yes.  Mr. Walley is correct.  I bent a aluminum drip guard/stand at the bottom.  At first it had no holes cut in it but it trapped the heat at the bottom.  Out came the plasma cutter and I cut holes to outline the element (so it is not exposed) and along the sides.  The heat now travels upward well and it acts to protect the element from dripping and holds my puck/water tray.  I have used it a bunch now and I would have done a few things differently.  It does get hot on that bottom puck/water tray and boils off the water fairly quickly.  I would have mounted the generator a little higher with a higher puck water tray to give it some more space from the element.  o well.  live and learn.  I do like the idea of a drip funnel.  I have been just using a lower rack with a bigger aluminum foil pan to catch the majority of the dripping for the bigger meat.  It's fun stuff figuring it all out.   Again, thanks for all the positive comments and help.  Ribs are going in at 1:00 this afternoon :)

Smoker John

Wow fantastic job on that smoker build
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

ddtdustin

Single Malt
What wattage element are you using?  Are you 120V with the Auber PID?  I am just getting started with a similar build and trying to figure out if 1400W is enough for 7 ft3. 
Thanks DDT

Rider14

Good looking smoker. I'd probably cook the big stuff in an aluminum pan to avoid the drippage. Not sure what to do about having the water bowl catching the pucks being above the element...I assume you could add a second hole to allow you to mount the smoke generator at a higher point for when you feel like it (with some sort of block over the unused hole, like the slider for the bottom vent).

Regardless, really good looking, looks like it would hold heat really, really well.  Nice job.

-Dan