Silica Gel packets to store Beef Jerky

Started by chronos, July 20, 2006, 02:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chronos

I've been making a lot of beef jerky recently and want to package it up to last a while. In the past I've packaged some jerky but after opening it gets moisture in it and quickly changes the jerky. I'd love to purchase some of those little silica packages you find in professional jerky.

Everything I see online requires HUGE bulk purchases. If anyone knows where I can find some of these for home use I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jerry

iceman

Quote from: chronos on July 20, 2006, 02:57:41 PM
I've been making a lot of beef jerky recently and want to package it up to last a while. In the past I've packaged some jerky but after opening it gets moisture in it and quickly changes the jerky. I'd love to purchase some of those little silica packages you find in professional jerky.

Everything I see online requires HUGE bulk purchases. If anyone knows where I can find some of these for home use I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jerry
Just curious to see if anyone came up with some info on this.

Vampyr

I found a little useful info from this site  http://www.sorbentsystems.com/minipaxtable.html
It says just a little way down on the page that the little packets in beef jerky are not moisture absorbers but oxygen absorbers.  If you go to the main site http://www.sorbentsystems.com you will see that they sell tons of different kinds of food preservation goodies including oxygen absorbers and dessicant.  Good luck

iceman

Good sites Vampyr. Thanks for the research and posting. ;)

Kummok

Hey Ice....if it's you looking for these, try Alaska Butcher Supply in Mountain View.....they stock LOTs of food prep/handling stuff. (Probably telling you something you already knew/did and they didn't have any ;)!)

BTW...can you guys keep all this heavy rain up your way.....I can't get ANYTHING done outside down here!! :'(

Vampyr

I have been meaning to go to Alaska Butcher Supply for a long time now.  I work on the Air Force base and i am right near there.  A friend of mine went there yesterday and said he saw the Cadillac ov vacuum sealers!  Unfortunately it was also $ 2000.00  :'(  So i will not be getting it any time soon.

iceman

Quote from: Kummok on August 24, 2006, 11:49:45 AM

BTW...can you guys keep all this heavy rain up your way.....I can't get ANYTHING done outside down here!! :'(
I thought you were sending this wet cr_p up here Kummok. We have some folks staying with us because they went home the other night and there was no home. It's headed down the Little Su and probably in the inlet by now. Bummer. They're going to fix up the cabin at Knik Lake and stay there for the winter.
Alaska butchers supply just keeps a running account for me anymore. I stop in there twice a week whether I need to or not. I'm not really looking for the gel packs (jerky doesn't last that long around here). Vacuum sealing works just fine for me.

Vampyr; those vacuum sealers are nice. I got the one that will do up to 13" bags. The nice part is they can seal liquids like chowder and soups also. Spendy but worth every penny when it comes to saving fish and meat for long periods.

Kummok

My prayers to your friends, Iceman....can't imagine losing everything in/and my home like that... :(  We're all sitting on a glacial silt bench down here and anyone of us could end up with beachfront property during the next big shaker...geologist tell us that we are moving downhill at something like 1/4 - 1/2" annually... :o

Vampyr:
I too, drool over some of the neat power stuff in Alaska Butcher Supply.....when the nice folks at ABS give me a demo of one of their vac chamber sealers by putting my wallet in a pouch and sucking the life out of it, I'm reminded of shopping for something in Homer! :o  ;)

A sunny day down here right now...gotta get back to work and work FAST!  ;)

iceman

Kummok,
I'm going to look at a single wide and a double wide cooler cabinet today. They are both S.S. inside and out. These are old refers from Holiday Inn. If they aren't to banged up I'll grab them. They owe me one so I think it's going to be a "I don't know what happened to them" type of a deal if you catch my drift. You still looking for a bigger smoker? Let me know. Usually the only thing you have to do is replace the inner door panel with steel and ditch the FRP panel most of them have. I'll recover the freon and remove the guts for you if you want one.

Vampyr

Iceman: I too am sorry about your friends.  I cant imagine going through that.  I hope that they are ok.

Kummok: Its still raining here  :'(  I am just eating lunch and i cracked open a pack of salmon that i did with your brine recipe and yummm..  It makes me think that i need more salmon.  I may try snagging in Seward (first time) I normally dipnet at the Kenai but my wife's parents are coming up next weekend and i can already feel my supplies dwindling  :o

Iceman & Kummok: How do you normally get your fish? Rod & reel, dipnet, both?

iceman

Good news; I just talked with Jim (he's the one that lost the house) and he said the insurance adjuster has already been out to the homestead and did the damage survey. They had documentation of all his inside belongings along with pictures he had previously given them and they will have a check for him next week at the latest. I'm glad I have the same insurer. (No advertising, sorry). Red cross gave them hotel and clothing and misc. for a month if needed. I know it's still tough on them but that sure helps things a little.
I think I know where my next donation is going to!!! :)

Kummok

VERY kind offer Iceman! I'll send ph # offline to chat about logistics......

Glad to hear that the insurance company was a "no-hassle" insurer! I've learned, after a couple fires, that you can't replace the photos and special memory items, but the rest of it is just "stuff" and having a good inventory helps get that replaced a LOT quicker.

Vampyr:
Down here I've always "restocked" the freezer trolling with rod/reel/flasher/herring. Nothing wrong with spawners and river fishing is waaaaaaay less expensive, but nothing beats a feeder King yanked outta the Bay if/when ya have the means. I love to fish about 5-10' off the bottom in about 20-35' of water, just off the rocky shorelines (about 20-25'). I also pull a few spawner Silvers outta the Spit Pit on a rod/reel/"Russian fly" from time to time when I'm giving a smoking class or when I want to smoke up a big batch of "giveaway".....(most folks that receive this are "occasional smoked salmon eaters" and they seem to prefer the dryer Silver meat) Haven't done the dipnet yet, but it's only a matter of time! ;) BEAUTIFUL sunny day yesterday, although the Bay was white w/ wind driven seas....rain again today :(

Vampyr

I need to get down to Homer one of these days and get some fish.  I have only been there once and hve been meaning to go back again.  It is  beautiful down there but it such a long drive from Palmer  :(  Thanks for the info on the fishing.  I cant wait to get more fish in the Bradley.  My wife has convinced me that pulled pork is the next thing that i will be cooking tho  :D