Recipe Website Admins!!!!

Started by KyNola, July 30, 2014, 06:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

A member of the Forum contacted me asking if anyone was having a problem accessing the www.susanminor.org website.  I attempted to access the site and received the error message "509 Bandwidth Limit Exceeded".

Is anyone else having the same issue?

Is anyone attempting to alleviate the issue?

BC Smoker

Yup
Yesterday I tried to log on and received the same default message, I kinda thought it had something to do with my end of the internet.     O_o

manfromplaid

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

elk_smoker

I have been getting this error off-and-on for about a month now.

ragweed

TedEbear

I received that message a few weeks ago.  It was back to normal the next day.  My guess is there's a limit to the total data that can be downloaded in a month, week or whatever and once that has been reached no more access until someone pays more money or a new month rolls around.

I don't think that site is sponsored by Bradley.

KyNola

The site in question is definitely not sponsored by Bradley.  Admins from the recipe site are on this Forum regularly.

Gafala

Here what I got today.

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Habanero Smoker

The recipe site is NOT funded or sponsored by Bradley. All costs are absorbed by Cyber Dude (Trey), who is the web master, and also a member of this forum.

There must have been unusual heavy traffic for the month of July, and the allotted bandwidth was exceeded. Friday, the beginning of the next month, the site should be up and running.

TedEBear, I didn't get that message last week, so Trey may have increase the bandwidth at least once, which would be an additional cost to him. I'm not sure if the bandwidth is calculated monthly or weekly. I just noticed it a couple of days ago. From viewing other replies, he may have increase the bandwidth a few times, or the bandwidth is renewed each week.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

I wonder if Cyber Dude ever considered setting up a link on the recipe site for donations via PayPal or something?  I've seen that on other forums.  It seems to be a popular place and I don't know what the cost is to keep it running but I'm sure some people would be willing to contribute to keep it up and running.

Tenpoint5

Habanero, I know your part of the Admin team over there and I was wondering. Do you have everything updated over on the recipe site? That way folks could download the reader and the whole recipe database for time like these. That would help cut down on the use of bandwidth. I know I refer to the download I have from the last update.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: TedEbear on July 30, 2014, 04:46:42 PM
I wonder if Cyber Dude ever considered setting up a link on the recipe site for donations via PayPal or something?  I've seen that on other forums.  It seems to be a popular place and I don't know what the cost is to keep it running but I'm sure some people would be willing to contribute to keep it up and running.

First I have to say I'm not sure if money is the issue. I haven't check with him on this, and it just could be could be that he is just too busy and hasn't got to this current issue. Prior to Trey taking over the site one thing I proposed was linking advertisements to bring in revenue, and I recall that donations through PayPal had been suggested in the past. I'm not sure how he feels about either suggestion. I will send him an email today.

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 30, 2014, 06:26:51 PM
Habanero, I know your part of the Admin team over there and I was wondering. Do you have everything updated over on the recipe site? That way folks could download the reader and the whole recipe database for time like these. That would help cut down on the use of bandwidth. I know I refer to the download I have from the last update.

For those who have the last version of the download, most of it is current, and you can refer to that. When the site comes back on line; the threads with the green check marks are the only ones that are not in the current download. The updates are getting more difficult to maintain. I have moved up to Win 8.1, and there are a lot of compatibilities issues with the version of GSNotes we are using. The reason we haven't upgraded GSNotes is that any upgrade on our end; the end user would have to pay $10 for the reader. I still have one machine that is running XP, and keep it around mainly just to update the download. But it is slow. Eventually I may setup a virtual drive on my 8.1 machine, and install XP on it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TMB

Quote from: Gafala on July 30, 2014, 12:36:13 PM
Here what I got today.

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
Yup, same thing I get
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

pondee

Quote from: TMB on July 31, 2014, 08:17:14 AM
Quote from: Gafala on July 30, 2014, 12:36:13 PM
Here what I got today.

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
Yup, same thing I get

Seems to be universal