Refrigeration of collagen casings

Started by Bagman, July 31, 2014, 11:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bagman

We a going to make snack sticks Sunday and I have been reading up on the forum to avoid problems.  Seems like soaking of the collagen casings is a personal preference and results will be good either way.  My real concern is that I have had the collagen casings for several months and they have not been refrigerated.  Should I discard and buy fresh or can they be used.  I would rather take the loss for the casings than 25#s of sausage.  Thanks!
If women can't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!  Red Green

Tenpoint5

You should be fine with them. Just don't over stuff. They may be brittle. I usually keep mine vacuum sealed at room temp for months on end and they always seem to be just fine.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Bagman

Thanks Tenpoint5, will take your advice and be sure not to over stuff. Also will be sure to vac pack or refrigerate in the future.  Thanks again and will post the results.
If women can't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!  Red Green

Bagman

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/04/ene5uqa6.jpg[/IMG
Well the casings worked just fine.  We soaked them and was careful not to over stuff, they have a nice snap and a great flavor and zero problems, just the way I like it!  Made 25# and they are going fast! Thanks for the help!

Bagman

Gafala

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.