Brisket Timing

Started by mevswild, August 02, 2014, 07:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mevswild

Ladies and Gentleman, I'm hoping you can help me with this!
I've done a few briskets now, but they have always been packer cut and over 8 lbs and required nearly 20 hours to get to temp.  I just bought a 4 lb flat from at the local farmers market and am curious what time i should be starting to cook it if i want to eat for around 5 pm tomorrow? Not sure if i should start it late this evening or if i should get up and start it super early tomorrow? Using an ftc method will allow some forgiveness on timing but i know i don't wanna have it ready way to early in the day!!

Any advice is much appreciated,
Cheers!

beefmann

id figure 10 to 12 hours , though the  process  id use is  smoke and cook for 4 hours  at  225 f..  stop the  smoke  then wrap  in  foil with apple juice or some other  liquid  other then  water for at  least 2 hours  ( can be  longer her , this process makes the  meat  more tender and  juicer ) till you  reach the desired it, if you  want it to be  pulled your  looking at  195- 205 f I.T for  pulling  meat  .

this i a variation on the  3-2-1 for ribs which works here as well.. 

once done you  can  FTC till  dinner time.

Dano

I concur with beefmann. If you don't plan on using the "texas crutch" remember to baste or spray every 3 hours. That's how I keep my long smoked briskets moist. (10lb took 18 hours and two 11lb briskets took 23 hours at 220F-230F). 
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)