Somewhere between frozen and thawed…

Started by jb, August 09, 2014, 01:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb

I just pulled two butts out of my fridge. I typically let them sit on the counter for about an hour before putting them in the Bradley. On taking them out of my fridge, they feel a bit colder than usual- I think the fridge temp got adjusted by one of the kids! They're certainly nowhere close to frozen but they don't feel like they do when you buy them at the store.

1. Should I let them sit out longer before putting them in the Bradley?
2. If I put them in and they're too cold (whatever that is), will they take in less smoke?

Thanks in advance!

waycoolcat

I'm not sure if the kid's changed the temperature in your refrigerator, but in mine if things are placed in the center of the back where the cold air is brought in I've had items (milk jugs, meat) freeze in the refrigerator. That might have been what happened.

In any case, if you could I'd let it in the refrigerator toward the front until it seems thawed. You shouldn't let whole cuts sit out more than an hour before cooking and if you put it in the Bradley it could take a long time to get the oven to temp. or the meat to an ideal IT.
I want to be a better carnivore!

TedEbear

Quote from: jb on August 09, 2014, 01:34:12 PM
1. Should I let them sit out longer before putting them in the Bradley?
2. If I put them in and they're too cold (whatever that is), will they take in less smoke?

I've been know to take a frozen solid butt out of the freezer and put it right into the Bradley.  Other than it taking a few hours longer to cook I don't notice any difference.  I wait until the initial 3-4 hours of smoke is finished before trying to insert the temp probe.  Impossible otherwise, unless I use a drill.   ;D