Broken door mod.

Started by watchdog56, August 09, 2014, 04:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

Finally took the time and did a door mod. Kept getting tired of broken hinge and plastic so I went for it. IT was pretty easy and I think it looks pretty good if I must say so (but that is my biased opinion).

Hope this helps if anyone else want to try it.
Started with 1 flat piece strip of aluminum cut into 16 3/4" length;

Next got an angle piece and cut in 17# length;

Here are the strip cut with edges ground off so no sharp edges;

I attached one strip from the back and put the strip in front over the bottom lip of the back one and then attached them together using 2 screws;

Next step I attached the strip on the inside of the door under the metal cover but over the frame of the door in back using the screws that hold the magnetic strip on. I had to drill the holes into the new metal for the screws to attach to.

This is what the front of the door looks like now, no screws showing,there is a very small gap in between metal strip and where the door makes the curve but other than that this should work a lot better;

I then took off the hinge at top and put on a couple of 1 inch hinge. Here is what the outside looks like;I wanted to get screws that went through the frame of the door but the door is filled with styrofoam so I could not put machine screws in.

And finally the inside of cabinet where the hinge goes through;

Overall the door swings very smooth. Will be trying it out next weekend on a brisket.

Quarlow

Looks like a good fix up.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

watchdog56

Saber 4

Nice fix, bet that lasts a long time

watchdog56

TedEbear

After the hinges broke on my OBS a few years ago I did the Home Depot hinge mod, although the screws on mine do not go all the way through the smoker wall.  Regular sheet metal screws seem to be working OK.

Crewmax42

For the life of me, I can't figure out where the flat strip is being used. I put two angle pieces on the bottom. But, does the flat strip go on the inside of the hinge side of the door? The screws I used on the door side of the hinges won't tighten. I got problems.

TedEbear

For the hinges, I used regular sheet metal screws that do not go all the way through the other side.  They are still holding well several years later.  If yours are not getting tight try the next larger diameter screws.

Crewmax42

Thanks! I found some different screws that really tightened the hinge up. It swings good now! Still no clue what the flat strip was for, though. Glad I didn't buy it! LOL! Got a couple of ten pond butts to smoke (.99/lb.) tomorrow. Can't wait to try out my door mod. Thanks for the idea!

Anyone else have terrible trouble reading the captcha letters? Sometimes I just quit trying to post.

TedEbear

Quote from: Crewmax42 on July 05, 2020, 04:16:11 AM
Anyone else have terrible trouble reading the captcha letters? Sometimes I just quit trying to post.

I sometimes see that on other website but not here.  Once I've logged in it keeps me logged in day after day.  I don't think I've ever had to deal with the captcha stuff on here.  I'm using Firefox with Windows 10.

Crewmax42

Hmmm...it didn't do it this time. I am using an Amazon Fire hd with silk browser. But, it remembered me this time. Great!

manfromplaid

it works that way for the first few posts  makes sure your not a bot..

watchdog56

Door mod is still holding up after all these years. I don't do much during summer,more towards fall with venison sausage and winter months.

Crewmax42

My mod worked well over the weekend when I smoked a couple of butts. But, I think my 1210 auber PID is broken. First, it would quit heating at 216 and this time it shutdown twice during the smoke and I reverted back to BS control. Guess I'll have to send it back for tech to look at. I just wanted to mention, I removed the original BS hinge pin, too, when I added the hinges.