WOW!! Great Cheese

Started by LanduytG, August 12, 2014, 03:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LanduytG

Back I think it was in April or May I smoked some Swiss and 3 year old Cheddar with apple. Well I vacuum sealed it put it in the bottom of the frig and forgot about it till today. All I can say is GREEEEAT. I love the Swiss and will be doing more when weather permits. The Cheddar is good but others really didn't care for it, however they are not Cheddar eaters anyway.

Greg

waycoolcat

Glad to hear about your success! I haven't tried smoking cheese yet. I'm going to when the weather gets cooler.
I want to be a better carnivore!

LanduytG

Ya I'm waiting too. Now thatI know how well it will turn out I'll make a lot more of it.

Greg

Spliner

I can't wait to do some cheese.  Been hinting at the wife to get me the cold smoke adapter for about 2 years now.  Gonna have to break down and buy it myself this fall.  ;)

Spliner

ragweed

If you're careful and pick your day, you can smoke cheese in the summer.  I did 5 lbs of Cooper on 15 JUL 14.  The highest the box temp got was 95* F.  Most of the time it was 80 - 85* F.  I started early, early.  Like 4 am.  Ambient was not quite 70* F.  I put the cheese on the top shelf and two very large ice packs just above the pucks.  Ice cubes in the drip pan.  When the temp would start to get too high, I'd open and close the door rapidly, pulling the heat out.  The smoke recovers quickly.  You end up "babysitting" the smoker for two hours, but if you're out of cheese, you do what you gotta do!!

RedJada

Defiantly ice in the pan for hotter outside temps. But the way weather is going September should be no problem. Currently sitting at 68 degrees here in NE Ohio, suppose to be our hottest month, LOL. Oh, last batch I did a little blu cheese. Came out great and goes a long ways.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: ragweed on August 15, 2014, 03:10:42 PM
If you're careful and pick your day, you can smoke cheese in the summer.  I did 5 lbs of Cooper on 15 JUL 14.  The highest the box temp got was 95* F.  Most of the time it was 80 - 85* F.  I started early, early.  Like 4 am.  Ambient was not quite 70* F.  I put the cheese on the top shelf and two very large ice packs just above the pucks.  Ice cubes in the drip pan.  When the temp would start to get too high, I'd open and close the door rapidly, pulling the heat out.  The smoke recovers quickly.  You end up "babysitting" the smoker for two hours, but if you're out of cheese, you do what you gotta do!!

I think we have all done something like this a time or two
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Roget

I smoke cheese in April & again in October.
The temps are usually perfect here those two months.
I usually smoke 5-8 lbs. at a time. That gives me enough to last until the next time. I even have enough to give a block or two away to my best buddies.
I have a reserve so I never eat anything in less than 3-4 months.(the longer, the better)
So far I have not had to use ice, just the Bradley cold smoker attachment.
YCDBSOYA