30 lbs picnic being smoked right now but real tough and ......need help asap !!!

Started by Rooftop777, August 16, 2014, 07:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooftop777

I'm smoking 6 five pound pieces of picnic cut. I injected apple recipe into all, then rub and put all in fridge last night. Been smoking at 200-230F since 8 am this morning. One piece gave me a thermometer reading of 195, when I took it out to pull, it was tough in middle and only could pull a bit on outsides.

Going to wait for other pieces in smoker to be 195F.
Should I put all 6 pieces in a roaster and bake with apple juice at 190F for many hours instead.. to tenderize all or maybe at a higher temperature?
Only thing is I would loose the beautiful bark I got,
Any help is much appreciated, thanks

Wildcat

Not sure about the thermometer you are using but with that much meat, I seriously doubt that your meat is done. I would be surprised if it did not take at least 24 hours.  Keep cooking like you were before. Make sure you are not in a fat pocket with the temp probe. The fork test is usually the best indicator of when it is done.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Rooftop777

Thank you, this is what I did in emergency. Wrapped each one in foil, added a bit of apple juice and set in oven overnight at 180F, for slow bake. Going to check in middle of night and likely only ready in morning.
I think should be ok at 180 since oven runs warmer than what it indicates a bit.

Rooftop777

I reset oven to 190, read that is temperature that begins to break up muscle tissue, going to bed, hope for the best....

KyNola

You're most likely already in bed by the time I post this but I would bump the temp in your oven to at least 210, more like 225.  Not sure where you read that 190 oven temp was the magic number for muscle tissue to break down.  I've never heard that theory but then again there is a lot I haven't heard.  Collagen and connective tissues begin to break down somewhere around the 150-160 internal meat temp mark, not oven temp. 

Like WC stated I'm confident the first roast reading at 195 was a false reading, possibly from being in a fat pocket.  Check each roast individually and in several places to verify the internal temperature of the meat.  Don't worry about the bark softening up.  The smoke flavor will be there.

Rooftop777

Just read your response, boosted it up and have apple juice in each foil. Had a mess, apple juice leaked in bottom of oven overnight and burnt with smoke all over.
So to be sure, Im looking for internal meat temperature of 200 and fork test ?
thanks again
Im keeping positive that it will work out,

TedEbear

Quote from: Rooftop777 on August 17, 2014, 04:15:54 AM
So to be sure, Im looking for internal meat temperature of 200 and fork test ?

Start checking with the fork twist test when the IT is at 190.  They're usually fully cooked at around 190-200.

Rooftop777

Oven temp at 225, tried a piece and tasted really good and bark was not all lost.
Will keep you all updated.
Again thanks and I hope to help others after on what not to do and what is better to do,

Rooftop777

Really regret taking picnic cut, it would have been better to get the pork butt. Too many pieces to monitor and have to juggle. I am already noticing the consistency of the meat did not appear like pork butt but will have to see how it all turns out in the end.....just have to wait....
Will have pictures for everyone,

Wildcat

Rooftop777

Thanks but Birthday is actually on August 28, doing all then in vacuum bags, Party far away at cabin where not big stove. Tested vacuum bag method weeks ago and worked excellent. Internal temp of meat is now 182 and she is tendering up much more and starting to look better. It will work out....soon...

KyNola

You got this!  As TedE said, when you get up around 190 start checking for tenderness.  By cut, the picnics simply won't have exactly the same reaction as the butt but it will still be tasty.

Now, wanna know what really happened here?  You freaked out and panicked. :) "OMG, I've screwed this up." ;D "This is taking too long."  Don't worry about it, each and everyone of us has done and said the exact same thing and anyone who says they haven't is not telling the truth.  One of the hardest things to learn with a Bradley is patience and that in some cases it is just going to take a long time for the magic to happen.  When using a Bradley always remember that unless you have hot rodded your Bradley with an extra or larger heating element, you are cooking with 5 100 watt light bulbs plus a 125 watt light bulb if you leave your puck burner on the entire time.

Bottom line is you gathered yourself back in, persevered and will cross the finish line pretty much intact with a lesson learned.

Congratulations! 

Rooftop777

Yep, you hit it right on the nail, the incorrect thermometer reading put me into panic mode. It's getting more and more tender and we speak. Thank you for words of encouragement.

I brined a turkey and smoking that right now too....more learning....

TedEbear

Quote from: Rooftop777 on August 17, 2014, 08:13:44 AM

With the turkey, after the initial smoking session you might want to finish it in the oven if you want the skin to be crisp.  Cooking poultry entirely in the Bradley tends to leave the skin slightly rubbery.

Wildcat

Quote from: TedEbear on August 17, 2014, 11:24:40 AM
Quote from: Rooftop777 on August 17, 2014, 08:13:44 AM

With the turkey, after the initial smoking session you might want to finish it in the oven if you want the skin to be crisp.  Cooking poultry entirely in the Bradley tends to leave the skin slightly rubbery.

Concur except the skin will be more than just slightly rubbery.

Congrats on your pulled pork. Remember the patience. Pulled pork is the easiest (or most forgiving) to smoke in the Bradley.