Boneless pork butt

Started by pesky, August 17, 2014, 04:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pesky

I'm smoking two 6 lb boneless pork butts. Newbie questions.
1 using mesquite pucks. How long for for the smoke.
2 how long in the smoker
3 gonna cook a day ahead of the party and reheat. Should I FTC?
Any other suggestions?
Using a bradley 4 rack digital

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BC Smoker

This is coming from another rookie..... But take it for what it's worth. 1) I like to smoke mine for 5-6-7
hours, but the pros say 4 hours of smoke is all the meat can absorb ? 2) time in the smoker will vary greatly . Always go by temperature (195 - 205 degrees ). Just as important as temperature is testing for doneness, twist the bone or insert fork and twist, but the bottom line is, to what degree of doneness you like - from falling off the bone to still having to work it off the bone. Use time only as a reference ( approx. 10 -12 - 16  ++ hours ???). FTC  for me, nope.... especially for a quick cool down and reheat, but that's just me, someone else may do stuff differently than I. But honestly.... relax and just have a great smoke!!      @_@

Wildcat

No need to FTC. Just take off of heat, loosely tent on counter until cool enough to pull. Mesquite is a strong flavor. I would recommend doing 3 hours unless you really want a strong smoke taste then do 4. If you plan to cook at  around 220 F then start checking the meat with the fork test at around 185 to 190 F meat temp. Do not rush this. It will take between 12 and 24 hours to get done - depending on cooking temp, how often you open the door, how cold the meat is at the start, and the pig itself.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

pesky

Thanks so much for that advice BC and Wildcat. Decided to use applewood pucks for 5 hours based on comments. I'll post pics when I'm done. I have a killer home made rub that I'm using as well. Rubbing and wrapping the night before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk