almonds

Started by manfromplaid, August 19, 2014, 07:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromplaid

so i thought it would be a good day to smoke some almonds. i found tailfeathers honey smoked recipie so thats what is in the fridge right now. only had 1and a 1/2 lbs. of almonds but it will do.post some pics later today

tailfeathers

If you can still do it add a little nutmeg. I put some in my last batch, they turned out really good. Be forewarned, the glaze makes a mess of your v tray. I don't usually use foil in my smoker, but I lined my tray with foil last time and cut slits in it and the hole in the center, really helped with cleanup. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

And be sure to spray some Pam on your frogmats

manfromplaid

q-mats are sprayed  just spread the nuts and letting the smoker come up to temp. using 3 racks so i will foil the forth and save a mess  thanks paul.  added a few salted peanuts to the  mix just to get a little more volume and the extra salt gives a nice sweet/salty taste. looking forward to eating these treats.
jeff

manfromplaid

.     Those are sticky little buggers

tailfeathers

I don't know that I would foil a rack, don't know what effect that will have on heat/smoke distribution. I foiled the v tray itself then cut slits where the slots are in the tray, also opened the hole in the center. Yep, they're sticky all right! Make sure to watch them closely and rotate often so the lower rear racks don't burn.

tailfeathers

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=34968.0
This is a link to a post I had a while back, it shows how I made "baskets" out of q-mat for smoking nuts. They work great!

Gafala

I use cheese cloth as I do 50lbs at a time works great for me.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Saber 4

I'm thinking those are going to be sticky good!!!!

manfromplaid

the almonds got a little overcooked. good but the odd one has a burnt nut taste. oh well i can eat them and will watch a little closer next time.