brewoz triple smoked ham

Started by cathouse willy, August 19, 2014, 08:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathouse willy

8 days in the brine, 2  days rest and then 3 days of cold smoke and a hot smoke to an it of 145f.Wrapped and resting till Sat,Then a reheat and glaze ham dinner

Habanero Smoker

I can't wait to see the results. It should have a great concentrated flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 20, 2014, 01:43:26 AM

That it should! Hopefully it wasn't a strong wood and it won't over power the senses when served
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 20, 2014, 03:00:53 AM

That it should! Hopefully it wasn't a strong wood and it won't over power the senses when served

You may have misunderstood what I was referring to. The long period of smoking and air drying will concentrate the ham-like flavor of the meat. I'm guessing he may have applied 3 hours of smoke during each day.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 20, 2014, 12:50:31 PM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 20, 2014, 03:00:53 AM

You may have misunderstood what I was referring to. The long period of smoking and air drying will concentrate the ham-like flavor of the meat. I'm guessing he may have applied 3 hours of smoke during each day.

Didn't misunderstand. Just added to it not knowing if he used 3 hours or 8 hours of smoke a day. Was it Mesquite or Hickory or was it Apple or Maple makes for different variables and smoke profiles. That are unknown at this time.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

cathouse willy

I'll add to my post to clarify things. I smoked it 3 hrs per day using a mix of hickory and alder. Dinner is saturday, more pics to come
Bill

LanduytG

I take it you used a fresh ham and brined it. What did you use for a brine? I have some fresh ham and would like to try this. I love the triple smoked bacon.

Greg

cathouse willy

I used Habs recipe for smoked cured ham, recipe here.  http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?465-Smoked-Cured-Ham&p=716#post716

and then followed a post by brewoz to cold smoke over 3 days, here http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=30050.0

LanduytG

Quote from: cathouse willy on August 21, 2014, 09:28:34 AM
I used Habs recipe for smoked cured ham, recipe here.  http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?465-Smoked-Cured-Ham&p=716#post716

and then followed a post by brewoz to cold smoke over 3 days, here http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=30050.0

Thanks we're going to give it a try.

Greg

Habanero Smoker

I had forgotten about brewoz post. Thanks for providing that link.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Brewoz

Waiting for a report.
My bacon, hams and ham shanks all get cold smoke. Can't lower myself to buy precooked hams in the stores( paying top dollar for leftovers). Triple smoke bacon is like eating Scooby snacks and a ham shank rendering all the juices and smoke into a pot of beans is fantastic.
I will smoke 1-2 hrs with hickory then hit it with pecan, pecan and more pecan. My smoking season starts in 3 weeks.

Keith
Beer Guy At Snow Creek

cathouse willy

Dinner was a hit with all, potato salad,corn on the cob and garden tomatoes. only one picture of the ham but it says it all.
Thanks and well done to those that wrote the recipes.
Cathouse Willy

Saber 4

Habanero Smoker

That looks fantastic. I moved my triple smoked ham to the top of my priority list.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Salmonsmoker

Great job cathouse! I'm with Habs.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.