Morton Tender Quick ?

Started by LanduytG, August 21, 2014, 05:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LanduytG

In the process of looking for a brine recipe I found this http://www.pelletsmoking.com/searching-cure-26/ham-brining-101-bacon-6993/#post72951

It was stated the MTQ should not be used for bacon. I have used MTQ on 3 batches of bacon and I'm still alive. Any idea way they say this?

Greg

beefmann

lophole

I have used MTQ for over 60 years and never had a problem.
I never can figure out the MTQ's critics agenda.
lophole

LanduytG

Just pulled this out of the smoker, cured with MTQ. Fresh bacon for breakfast tomorrow, may be a BLT for lunch :P
Greg

KyNola

Tenthunter is generally a pretty knowledgeable guy around a smoker pit.  I know him from a couple of different forums.  I can't imagine where he got the idea you can't use MTQ for bacon.  The only thing I can figure is he keeps referring to USDA approval and that the article is referring to making a brine or "pickle" to cure a ham.  Even then, in this case he's just incorrect.

I have the curing book from Morton's regarding MTQ and it specifically has recipes and guidelines for both dry curing bacon and wet brines for hams, etc. 

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Habanero Smoker

I didn't have time to read all his posts, and couldn't find his reference about not using TQ. If he is referring to Morton Tender Quick, and not Morton Smoke Flavor Sugar Cure, he is probably basing it on the fact that TQ has .5% sodium nitrate. Typically sodium nitrate has been banned in the U.S. to be used in commercially cured meats that will be cooked. TQ has been approved by the FDA for home use, which I believe includes curing bacon. That would most likely mean the residual amounts of sodium nitrates that may be left in the meat when using TQ properly, will be within the safety standards set by the FDA.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

LanduytG

OK he is saying its not USDA approved for bacon.

Greg

manfromplaid

while attending the MWSO i found MTQ in the store and since i had no luck finding it around the edmonton area i just brought some home. :)

LanduytG

While trying to find a place to get Morton's curing booklet I ran across this post from another forum. My bacon cured for 14 days this time because I was away and couldn't take care of it. After reading this I did good without knowing it.

Greg

QuoteWith all the different dry cured bacon recipes, I was beginning to question myself whether or not the one I have been using  was the one recommended by Morton® or had I misunderstood and been doing it wrong for a good many years.   After contacting Morton® the following was confirmed and I felt reassured.

Morton® recommends dry curing pork belly.  The rate of cure is 7 days per inch thickness using one application of Tender Quick® or Sugar Cure® (Plain or Smoke Flavored) over the entire belly of  1/2 oz. or 1 TBS per pound of meat.

At 7 days per inch, it takes the cure 7 days to penetrate 1/2 inch from both sides to reach the center.  This calculates to be 1/14 of an inch per side per day to reach 100% saturation.

A 2 inch pork belly would then take 14 days minimum to cure to the center, which is 1 inch.
Morton® then recommends a two day equalization period resulting in a minimum of 16 day's cure time  for a two inch thick pork belly.

Hope this helps those who questioned the recommended cure times using Morton® products.

To receive the Morton® Home Curing Guide.PDF or ask questions,  Google Morton Salt/contact-us.

Habanero Smoker

Though the "Home Meat Curing Guide" by Morton states to use 7 days per inch to cure fresh belly, and a 2 day equalization period; when using a dry cure method, when I used  to use it, and as I use the basic cure today, I find 7 days is more than enough to fully cure a slab. Also I do not find that publication very beneficial.

The quote you provided is directly from the publication. Morton Smoked Flavor Sugar Cure contains 1% sodium nitrate, and no nitrites, and it is not interchangeable with Morton Tender Quick or Morton Sugar Cure, so I could never understand why they would state you could use any three of their curing products using the same method and times to cure bacon. Morton Smoked Flavor Sugar Cure is used for large cuts of meat that require a much longer curing period.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)