Cheese Day

Started by RAF128, August 22, 2014, 06:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

Some time ago I bought a couple of bricks of Black Diamond Old cheddar cheese with the intent of smoking it.   Well the weather here has been a little too warm so I've had wait.   Today the forecast is for cooler weather with a high of 18 C.  So, bright and early this morning I set up the smoker and cold smoke adapter.   Cut the cheese into smaller pieces and in it went.
Only worry I have is the sun so I'll be keeping a close watch on it.
Going to start with 4 hours of Hickory and check it after.

RAF128

RAF128

I thought I'd show the set up.

Jim O

Suggest some ice cubes in a pan in the bottom of your tower if the temp starts to rise too much. Personally,I find 2- 2/12 hrs smoke just enough for us.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Jim O

Looks like my set-up is similar to yours. I put a 6' length of vent pipe on the elbow and vent out a sliding garage window. Works well,especially in winter.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling

RAF128

Quote from: Jim O on August 22, 2014, 07:05:08 AM
Suggest some ice cubes in a pan in the bottom of your tower if the temp starts to rise too much. Personally,I find 2- 2/12 hrs smoke just enough for us.
That's my plan

RAF128

Quote from: Jim O on August 22, 2014, 07:07:58 AM
Looks like my set-up is similar to yours. I put a 6' length of vent pipe on the elbow and vent out a sliding garage window. Works well,especially in winter.
That's what I do in the winter.

Jim O

Holly crap !! We're clones !!
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling

RAF128

Well,  the cheese is all done.   Has a nice color to it.   It's been vacuum sealed and put away in the fridge.  Didn't get any picture.   The sealer was acting up and by the time I got done I forget to take any pics.

First State Smoker

Love the vent pipe. Is it any more complicated than just bolting an HVAC flange to the top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAF128

It's been just over a month now, so decided to hive a try. Turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself. I'll do it again when this runs out

Roget

Better not wait until it runs out or you will be waiting to eat again!
I smoke cheese every 6 months (April & October) so I always have some that is ready to eat.
It's October. Time to smoke cheese again.
YCDBSOYA

RAF128

Still have a few pieces left but starting to plan the next batch.   Time is the problem.  It's also hunting season ;)