Turkey legs

Started by cobra6223, August 22, 2014, 07:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobra6223

I have a mom that wants some smoked turkey legs and what mom wants mom gets!! So I need your help as I know turkey legs can be like eating the bottom of your shoe only tougher. I will probably brine them with some black cherry bourbon and then I need help as I seen on TV once where they used butter to inject the daylights out of them, is that all it is or do you add things to it? and what temps and what IT? Thanks for all your help in advance. Tim

Saber 4

I use an Apple Juice based brine from Smokehouse Rob and my turkey's or turkey legs always turn out moist and perfect, the legs will be like state fair turkey legs.

cobra6223

that's what I'm looking for, where do you find that stuff at? and Thanks Robert

Habanero Smoker

Generally when I get state fair turkey legs they are cured then smoked; giving them a ham like flavor, and they are usually tough.

Below is a link to the brine Saber4 is referring to:
Apple Juice Turkey Brine

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

waycoolcat

Thanks Saber4 and Habenero, I copied the recipe to try. I haven't tried smoking turkey yet. The recipe didn't say the finished IT. I'm guessing 180 is the standard. Any other smoked turkey tips, techniques or recipes?
I want to be a better carnivore!

Saber 4

Thanks for posting the link Habs, when I have done Rob's recipe they turn out with the good hammy flavor and color but in the Bradley and the SRG they always come out tender and moist.