Montreal Smoked Meat

Started by RAF128, August 25, 2014, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

Today I going to start this.   This morning I mixed the spices and will make a brine.   Then the brisket will soak in the brine for the next 5 days.    After that, It's into the smoker for a few hours of Maple smoke and then finish in the oven at 250 for about 3 hours.
Question:   The recipe calls for 2 hours of smoke but doesn't offer a suggestion of temperature in the smoker.   I was thinking 225.   What do you think?

Habanero Smoker

That is a good temperature to cook at, if you are going to cook it in the house oven, smoking at 180°F - 200°F would be a good temperature.

Are you curing a whole brisket or just the flat or point? If it is a whole brisket you may want to think about injecting.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RAF128

This morning I pulled the brisket out of the brine, rinsed and dried and rubbed as per the recipe.   I put it into the smoker and it's smoking as we speak.   What I found was my PID doesn't seem to be working, so I using the smoker with the PID.   I'll get you a picture when it comes out before it goes into the oven to finish.   I'll address my PID question in another post.

RAF128

Brisket is out of the smoker.   Now into the oven at 250 for 3 hours.  There's 2 cups of water in roaster and it's sealed with tin foil.

RAF128

This morning I sliced the meat and tasted tested ;).  It turned out pretty good and am looking forward to a Reuben sandwich this afternoon.    Here's a portion already sliced