Bad smell in empty smoker

Started by bostonsmoker, August 29, 2014, 03:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bostonsmoker

I opened up the smoker to prepare for labor day and there was a putrid smell, and a whole bunch of flies. I don't think I cleaned the drip tray from my last smoke and it decayed. I've cleaned the pans, but the smell still remains in the empty smoker.
Is there any way to get rid of the smell? Is there any danger to my weekend plans?
Thx for any info.

Wildcat

If all else fails, thoroughly clean all of the insides and re-season.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Jim O

Before retirement,I was in the transportation business. If we had a bad smell in a food-grade reefer trailer,we put a pound of ground coffee inside,and closed it up.In an hour or so,the smell was gone.My wife also uses this trick if a house she is selling has an offensive odour. May work for you
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

KyNola

You might also try preheating your smoker as high as you can get it and run an hour or so of smoke through it and see if that alleviates your odor.

I like the ground coffee trick.  I had never heard of that one.  Filing that away for future reference.

Alanfromwis

Before retirement,I was in the transportation business. If we had a bad smell in a food-grade reefer trailer,we put a pound of ground coffee inside,and closed it up.In an hour or so,the smell was gone.My wife also uses this trick if a house she is selling has an offensive odour. May work for you

Sounds like a good trick to use. Was wondering though, if you put the ground coffee in your well seasoned Bradley, then made brewed coffee from grounds, would you have a smoked coffee flavor?
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

Jim O

QuoteSounds like a good trick to use. Was wondering though, if you put the ground coffee in your well seasoned Bradley, then made brewed coffee from grounds, would you have a smoked coffee flavor?

You'd probably end up with coffee that tastes like the odour you're trying tyo get rid of !!
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

beefmann

all good advice above .. you  may also want to  try to  steam clean it.. and i do  mean " STEAM" not  high pressure water... the  steam will help  kill off any  nasties and  remove them then it  is  just a  wipe to  remove