Spicy jerky recipe needed

Started by grousehog, August 29, 2014, 09:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grousehog

I got time this weekend and a garden of fresh peppers. (Habanero, jalapeño, cayenne,thai,etc...). Does anyone have a go to spicy recipe possibly with apple or mango.?

Saber 4

I don't have one, but if no one comes up with one just come up with one on your own, you could use some apple or mango juice and/or some soy and a mix of your peppers, the right amount of Cure 1 and let er rip.

grousehog

Okay...I'm going to purée a bunch of apple, peppers, garlic, juices,etc..  I'll try to document it if it doesn't suck.

ragweed

Since no one else has responded with a boni fide spicy jerky recipe, here's what I'd do if I wanted spicy.

First I must say I grind the meat, season, stuff into casings, then cut "wafers" to dry.  There's a post on here somewhere detailing the procedure.

I use Smoking Gun Jerky marinade as my base.  It's got soy sauce, sugar, natural smoke flavor (liquid smoke I bet) garlic and peppers.  Check out smokinggun.com later.  For 5 lbs ground meat I use about 10 oz of marinade.  Add cure and any heat I want.  Usually 2 tsp cayenne and 2 tsp black pepper.  Mix it all up, stuff into 3" casings, freeze for a bit to firm up, then slice into 3/8" wafers.  Remove the casing and dehydrate.

So to "kick it up", I'd dice, chop fine or run the peppers of choice through a food processor.  Then add them in before mixing.

Hope this helps!

grousehog

Thanks, I'll definitely try that next....I ended up making a marinade and soaking the whole muscle jerky overnight.  I wrote down the specifics and will share tomorrow if it is worth sharing.

Saber 4

Quote from: grousehog on August 30, 2014, 02:31:22 PM
Thanks, I'll definitely try that next....I ended up making a marinade and soaking the whole muscle jerky overnight.  I wrote down the specifics and will share tomorrow if it is worth sharing.

If it's not exactly what you want you will be able to adjust the recipe up or down till you get the flavor and heat you want.

grousehog

Okay, let me preface I'm not a pro but have done several batches of different jerky...this is where I'm at.
The ingredients
3lb eye of round,8 habanero peppers, 8 jalapeño, 1 cayenne, 2 Tbsp hot horseradish, 2tbsp minced garlic, 5 Granny Smith apples, I cup of apple cider vinegar, 6Tbsp of lemon juice, 2/3 cup of brown sugar (it's all I had), cure#1.
I chopped the apples and peepers and simmered all the ingredients for 30 minutes

Puréed and cooled.
Sliced beef on my cutting block.
URL=http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/grousehoged/media/imagejpg8.jpg.html][/URL]
Marinaded over night
Smoked with apple/hickory for two hours.

Put in Dehydrater to finish.
Let you know later tonight if I should delete this thread

grousehog

Not bad,,,I wouldn't repeat, I'm beginning to learn that marinating muscle isn't as flavorful as powder seasoning.

And I don't know why some of my pictures are upside down:(