Shopping for a new fridge/side by side

Started by RedJada, September 03, 2014, 03:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedJada

I currently have have a GE 25cu.ft side by side that's about 8 years old. For about the past year it's one thing or another breaking. I have about $500 into it in repairs and that's me doing the fixing. Now the ice maker took a crap and that's almost another $100 to replace. So it's time to replace it the fridge. Looking to spend up to $1200 and staying in the 25cu.ft size. GE, Whirlpool, Amanda, ect... I know their pretty much the same. Just looking for your opinions and reviews on what you have or use to have. Thanks

Salmonsmoker

You might want to check out a French style 3 door with the freezer on the bottom and pull out drawer The upper section is all fridge behind two doors without a divider between. Much better storage and usability than a side X side. Samsung seems to be highly rated. We have an Amana and it works fine.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Wildcat

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on September 03, 2014, 04:24:19 PM
You might want to check out a French style 3 door with the freezer on the bottom and pull out drawer The upper section is all fridge behind two doors without a divider between. Much better storage and usability than a side X side. Samsung seems to be highly rated. We have an Amana and it works fine.

I second that. We want one but until our 25 year old unit dies, we are stuck with the one we have. Don't get me wrong - the one we have has never had a problem and storage is fine but we really like the layout of a French style.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

TedEbear

We have a French door refrigerator, bought about a year ago.  I love everything about it except that the in-door ice maker doesn't hold a lot, compared to our old Kenmore.  It's not much of a problem with just two of us living here but it could be for a large family.  They offered a similar version that has a second ice maker in the freezer for about $100 more but I figured I didn't need it.

One thing when looking at various features is check the location of the lights inside the refrigerator.  If it is properly designed the LEDs will be mounted near the front.  That way, they will illuminate the front of the container label that you're trying to read, unlike lights that are mounted at the back.

Gafala

Quote from: TedEbear on September 03, 2014, 05:08:19 PM
We have a French door refrigerator, bought about a year ago.  I love everything about it except that the in-door ice maker doesn't hold a lot, compared to our old Kenmore.  It's not much of a problem with just two of us living here but it could be for a large family.  They offered a similar version that has a second ice maker in the freezer for about $100 more but I figured I didn't need it.

One thing when looking at various features is check the location of the lights inside the refrigerator.  If it is properly designed the LEDs will be mounted near the front.  That way, they will illuminate the front of the container label that you're trying to read, unlike lights that are mounted at the back.

We also have a French door with bottom freezer it has the icemaker in the drawer. Love it had it three years now, Kinmore from Sears.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

RedJada

Sounds like I need to look at the french door. They do sound pretty nice.

tailfeathers

Quote from: RedJada on September 04, 2014, 01:52:17 AM
Sounds like I need to look at the french door. They do sound pretty nice.
We love ours. We went with just the ice maker in the bottom freezer, only have water in the door. Gain a LOT of extra fridge space that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

RAF128

We've got a 3 door Samsung. I agree the ice maker storage is too small. Also, if we had to do it over, we'd have bought the 4 door. Any time we want to access the deli drawer we have to open both doors. The 4 drawer lets you pull out the deli drawer without opening two big fridge doors

RedJada

Looked at the french door 3 & 4 door styles. I like them but have 2 cons with them. 1. I don't like the idea of burying stuff in the freezer and forgetting what's under everything on top. 2. The biggest con I have is the size. Trying to stay in the 25 cu.ft range and I just don't have the room in my kitchen. So, looks like I will be sticking with the side by side. I think I will be going with a whirlpool 25.4 cu.ft WRS325FDAW. It has tad more capacity and a tad smaller outside dimension wise. Seems to have pretty good reviews as well. Thanks for all your input.

Salmonsmoker

Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

hal4uk

Quote from: RedJada on September 06, 2014, 08:45:45 AM
Looked at the french door 3 & 4 door styles. I like them but have 2 cons with them. 1. I don't like the idea of burying stuff in the freezer and forgetting what's under everything on top. 2. The biggest con I have is the size. Trying to stay in the 25 cu.ft range and I just don't have the room in my kitchen. So, looks like I will be sticking with the side by side. I think I will be going with a whirlpool 25.4 cu.ft WRS325FDAW. It has tad more capacity and a tad smaller outside dimension wise. Seems to have pretty good reviews as well. Thanks for all your input.
I like side-by-side too.
Not in fashion, but... neither are my shoes ;-)

Awrighten.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby