BS611 and Auber PID connections

Started by microbeta, September 04, 2014, 06:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

microbeta

Hi All,

I am a newbie with a BS611 and just got the Auber PID.  The Auber manual shows 3 different configurations.

1)  The SG and the tower connected to the PID
2)  The PID and tower are connected to the SG
3)  The tower is connected to the PID and the SG plugged into the wall.

What are the pros and cons of each config?  I am guessing the option 1 is the "normal" configuration?

BTW - how can you insert images into the post?

Mark

TedEbear

Hi.  I can't offer any advie on the PID connections but I just posted steps on how to post a pic for someone else.

Here's the short version of how to post a pic on the forum:

1. Upload your pic(s) to a free host site, such as Photobucket.
2. Next to each pic you'll see an "IMG" box.
3. Click on that box and the contents will automatically be copied onto your clipboard.
4. Paste those contents into a message on here.
5. You can click on the "Preview" button before posting your message to verify that it worked but it is not necessary.

rexster

Which PID do you have? Single or dual probe? From what I can tell you have the dual probe. There are three options but the last one, number 3 deals with a digital Bradley which you don't have. Option one allows you to control the smoke generator along with the cabinet heater. Second option does not control the smoke generator, you manage it alone.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

microbeta

Quote from: rexster on September 05, 2014, 08:48:37 PM
Which PID do you have? Single or dual probe? From what I can tell you have the dual probe. There are three options but the last one, number 3 deals with a digital Bradley which you don't have. Option one allows you to control the smoke generator along with the cabinet heater. Second option does not control the smoke generator, you manage it alone.

Yes.  I have the dual probe.

I sort of figured the Option 3 didn't apply to me...but thought I would list it anyway.  Some of the mods I am reading about on the forum are "outside of the box".

So, to have the PID control the smoke or not?  How would I manually control the smoke with configuration #2?  With the dial on the SG?

Thanks for responding.  Sorry if my questions are stupid.  I am trying to learn from the experience of others.

rexster

When you choose 2nd option, you control the switch to the smoke generator. Using option 1 you can program the SG to come on according to when you program it to go on and off. You might want to put a chicken on, but you don't want the SG to come on until an hour after the chicken's been in the Bradley, for example.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer