Trying for first time

Started by AllDayFoodie, September 05, 2014, 09:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllDayFoodie

Hello all, new to the Bradley, just got it and seasoned it. I am going to start tomorrow with a simple batch of wings then move to a prime rib on Sunday. I've heard from family (that don't have smokers) that wings can come out rubbery. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about doing a simple salt pepper and garlic rub then smoking around 200 for about 1-2 hours then finishing in a sauce in the oven to broil until crisp.... It's my first time

EZ Smoker

Sounds like a good plan to me, as long as the chicken gets done.  I smoke my wings on a higher temp for two hours, then I crisp 'em up on a hot grill (500* or so) for about 3 or 4 minutes.  I set the Bradley for 270*, but it usually doesn't get up that high for long.  Your plan sounds fine though.  You want to make sure the juices run clear (instead of red) before you serve them, but I don't really know how long they'll be in the broiler, or how high the internal temp will get in there.   

What kind of sauce are you puttin' on 'em?   And what kind of wood?   I use apple wood for chicken. 

At my house, before we smoke them, we just slather the wings in olive oil, sprinkle on a bunch of Tony Chachere's Creole... and that's it.  (The Chachere's has plenty of salt in it).   For me, there ain't no better wing anywhere.       

It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

AllDayFoodie

Awesome I'll try that. I was shooting in the dark with the 200 but I'll do it higher now. I'm using apple wood and I'll probably do a simple butter hot sauce type sauce. I need to get some of that creole seasoning I've never used it but have been wanting to. Hope they turn out good ill post some pics!

KyNola

Wow, wings on Saturday and prime rib on Sunday?  That is quite a leap!  Good luck.

AllDayFoodie

The wings came out great! Didn't need to Crisp them at all. They look a bit charred but were juicy inside! Thanks for the tip thanks EZ. So silly question...how do I post pics? Newbie I know.

Habanero Smoker

Hi AllDayFoodie;

Welcome to the forum.

If you are uploading from a computer, the below link may be helpful. It will instruct you through how to set up an account on photobucket, with some useful information on how to organize your account. If you already have a photo hosting website skip down to section #3.

How To Post Pictures

If your sauce is heavy in sugar, and you added it right at the beginning that may have cause it to char, but some char is good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

AllDayFoodie

Yea I think there was sugar in it, I ended up getting a pound of wings from whole foods that were pre marinaded.

AllDayFoodie

AllDayFoodie

ragweed

Looks real nice!  Wish I had some of those wings about now.  Can't wait to see the PR when it's done.  Good job!

KyNola

What was your smoking/cooking temperatures on those wings and how many total hours were they in the smoker?

AllDayFoodie

AllDayFoodie

The wings were in there for 250 for two hours.

ragweed

The PR looks fantastic!  Congratulations!

Smoker John

Those both look great, nicely done
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712