Chicken (3.710lbs)cooking time at 250-275f,how long should it take?

Started by Jaymez, September 19, 2014, 01:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaymez

I have the bradley bs611 and I bought a whole chicken today . I put it in at noon and the temp I've been keeping at 250-275f . I took the chicken out and flipped it at the 2 hour mark  it's now been in the smoker for 2 hours and 33 min how much more cooking time do I need for it to be done?
I have no thermometer or probe at all.
How long do these take? The chicken is a nice size 3.710 lbs . I did stab it with a fork a few times as I read I should do so. What do you guys think for cooking time. It could be a little over done and I wouldn't care to much. What time frame am I looking at here?

tskeeter

Jay, I'd bet that 2 1/2 hours is enough.  To smoke a 9 pound turkey breast takes me about 5 1/2 hours.  If you extrapolate the turkey breast back to 3.7 pounds, the chicken should be done in about 2 1/4 hours.

Without a thermometer, you can tell if a chicken is done by checking if any juice squeezed from a fork prick of the bird is clear, or if it appears to be slightly bloody.  Clear is done.  Another way some people check is to pinch the thigh.  It should be soft.  And the drumstick and thigh joints should move freely.