First short ribs, any tips?

Started by Sith Misfit, September 24, 2014, 10:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sith Misfit

Hi all, I'm doing my first short ribs in my Bradley smoker this weekend and am a bit nervous... have you got any hints or tips for me at all? How long should they take? What internal temp should I aim at?

Habanero Smoker

I haven't done many short ribs, but when I do I just used a simple rub of 3 parts kosher salt, 3 parts pepper, and 1 part garlic powder. If you want to add some color, add 1 part paprika to you rub. I apply about 1:40 - 2 hours of smoke and cook until tender; approximately an internal temperature of 180°F - 185°F.

The time depends on a variety of factors, such as how thick your ribs are, how fast your cabinet recovers, the ambient temperature, wind, if your cabinet is in direct sun or not etc.. It can take anywhere from 4 - 6 hours, and occasionally longer. You can shorten your cooking time by foiling the ribs; as in the 3-2-1 method of cooking spare ribs. I don't foil short ribs but spray with a mixture of apple cider and low sodium beef broth, about once an hour after the smoke has been applied. If I did foil I would probably use a 2-1-1 or 3-1-1 method, depending on thickness.

To read more on the 3-2-1 method click on the below link:
The Texax Crutch

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Sith Misfit

So here's what they look like now... I'm going to put them in at 230f at 11a.m. as we're planning on eating them at 8 p.m. so I'm giving myself a couple of hours grace.  If they're done early I'll FTC till nearer the time.

Habanero Smoker

If the aluminum foil is not just for your prep work, you need to remove the aluminum foil prior to placing them in the smoker. You do not want to fully cover the racks with foil. It will block the heat from circulating, causing a build up of heat below the foiled rack, and possibly cause a fire. Secondly, it will impede the flow smoke.

I forgot to mention if you can get your cabinet up to 250°F, that would be a better temperature than 230°F. I would hit them with more rub, including all sides. Nine hours is plenty of time. Depending on how your Bradley recoveries, those should take around six hours, less time if you foil.

If they are done in six hours, three hours FTC is a long time. To extend the FTC time you can preheat your cooler. Some use hot water, then drain the cooler just before using it for the FTC method. I find that a little cumbersome, and the few times I FTC I will preheat my cooler with an electric heating pad (or hot water bottle, or one of those microwave heat pads that come with some food carriers), and just remove it prior to placing your meat in the cooler, or you can leave it in.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Sith Misfit

Ok thanks for the tips, the foil is just for prep, it will be removed when they go in.  I'll wait till 12 to put them in then and set it at 250f.

GusRobin

I make them a lot. i usually cook them for about 5 hrs total and they come out tender and moist.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Sith Misfit

What temp do you call them done Gus? Mine are at 162f now after four hours... I'm surprised how quickly these are cooking! HS recommends 185, other recipes I've read say 203?

Sith Misfit

I pulled them out at 187f and they're now wrapped in foil for the next hour... I'm really looking forward to eating them, they smell amazing!

Habanero Smoker

They are looking good. How long did it take to get to 187°F? How were they?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Sith Misfit

Just shy of six hours and they were amazing! Yum! :)