Mallard and Goose

Started by svensktvilt, September 24, 2014, 08:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

svensktvilt

Hi! I am new here and i just bought myself a six-rack digital smoker. I have lots of wild meat i the freezer and i shoot around 10-20 Mallards and canadian every week. How should i smoke Mallard and Canadiangeese breasts? hos should i prepare them? Two hours in 200 degree? inner temp of 150 degrees?

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska.  I'm waiting for the duck season to open here and plan to smoke some myself.  So I'm anxious to hear what the experts say.  I know one thing from my pre-smoker days.  It's easy to over cook them and they get tough and dry.  I plan to leave the skin on or do the bacon thing if there's no skin.  I have a killer recipe for goose breasts (not smoked) called Dram Buie Goose if you'd like it.  Lots to it but excellent results. - Joe

Wildcat

There should be some recipes on the recipe site at the bottom of my post. Also you can do a search on here for a member called MallardWhacker (not sure about the spelling). He used to post on here a lot and was really into ducks.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

JONNYK

Hey sven. Welcome  from Ontario. I too just joined forum. I just did 18 lbs of goose breast into pepperettes. Doing another 25   this week. Another 10 lbs that am gonna try ground jerky. Tskeeter was invaluable help. You could check my post in the "introduce yourself"  forum for the great advice and knowledge shared. Kinda screwed up first batch, way too much fat, 10lbs breast and 8lbs fat, but it was still edible although a little greasy.(mmm) This time we will use 19lbs breast and 6.6lbs pork fat. We cheated and used  Backcountys Jalepeno sausage mix, so can't provide you with a recipe. . Will be using collogen cases again too as that's what we got from our butcher so will use them up.
Ground fat and meat separate, mixed with season and cure provided,then cased then put into fridge overnight. Took out  about 1 hr before smoking to reach room temp. Pre heated obs to 200d with vent open. Used 3 dowels to hang and dried for 1.5 hrs. Temp dropped to about 90d and didn't recover to recommended 130d. Then smoked for about 2.5 hrs at 150d until internal temp 145d (make sure you have a meat sensor, valuable)Upped temp to 170d to finish and pulled them when probe hit 153. Cause we used collagen cases, couldn't put them in water so onto the baskets and into the freezer for 25 min. Hung to dry for 2 days in basement. Will repeat this again for next batch. Anyone others have, I'm open too.