Smoked Salt

Started by Gafala, September 27, 2014, 02:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gafala

Just started smoking 3 racks of Fleur De Sel salt, 4 hours of apple, San Francisco Salt has the best buy on bulk salt as for the west coast any order over $20 free shipping, 3 jars with wood spoon are included. Great for giveways.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Ka Honu

I generally have a fair amount of smoked salt in the house and occasionally give a jar or bag as a gift. Since we also use a fair amount of salt for cooking and curing (not to mention killing garden slugs), I usually buy a 50 lb. bag of sea salt from a restaurant supplier friend every couple of years for about $15-18. I'm not refined enough to tell the difference between various fancy grinds of salt so it works for me.

Gafala

I have a granddaughter that is a Master Chef & a Master Desert Chef that is the reason for the special salt.
For me and friends I use Pacific Salt I only buy 20lbs at a time.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Habanero Smoker

Congratulations to your granddaughter. Wow!! Receiving a Master Chef is a great achievement to obtain and maintain in one area, let alone two.

I like to try different salts, and do have a small bag of Fleur De Sel salt. I haven't opened it yet. I may do that today or tomorrow to give it a taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

seb bot

Hey Gafala, are you just using coffee filter baskets to smoke it in, or something else?
Also, just cold smoke or do you have the oven element on?

I have a couple of different salts in the house, but haven't tried smoking any yet... I did get some applewood smoked pacific sea salt from the spice and tea exchange as a gift that I've started to use and am really enjoying, so I have been thinking about trying to smoke some myself.

Maybe going to try hickory first since I don't have that, then maybe try my own applewood at some point...

Mmmhhh, master dessert chef, you must get to try some great goodies!  :)

manfromplaid

my #2 daughter is a red seal pastry chef, I am very proud of her talents around the commercial bakery where she works. she has traveled to a number of locations outside of Canada to attend or as a guest  pastry schools. I do get some of her wares but not much as they are quite rich and all that sweetness ain't going to my heart. so congrats.  want to try salt also, more so after today as I smoked some butter for turkey injection and was very surprised at how much the smoke enhanced the flavor.

rexster

I have a mix of coarse ground pepper and sea salt in my Bradley as I'm typing this. I've got some Canadian bacon in it and had an extra rack and hated to see it go to waste.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

Ka Honu

Quote from: rexster on September 28, 2014, 12:12:24 PM... had an extra rack and hated to see it go to waste.

Good call. When I have it I usually use that extra space for paprika or salt and often resmoke some of what I already have on hand added in to some unsmoked product. Good flavor strength and blend that way.