Big Turkey

Started by Smorker, September 29, 2014, 08:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smorker

I have a large (18.4 lb) turkey in my freezer and I'm getting tired of looking at it so it's time to thaw it and smoke it.

Given the size of this thing I plan to carve it up first (breasts, thighs, legs, wings?).

This is a supermarket bird (Shop Rite). Do I need to brine this, or just apply rub?

Using OBS.

Thanks in advance.

Habanero Smoker

Carving it up the way you plan to, you will get a more evenly cooked turkey. I suggest you keep the dark meat and white meat on separate trays, since they cook at different rates, and you can pulled out the whole tray(s) when the white meat is finished, and when the dark meat is finished. I cook the dark meat to 165° - 170°F, and if you fell comfortable enough; the white meat I cook to 152°F - 155°F. If you don't feel comfortable with that, use 165°F.

Depending on how large the breast is, many members have gotten a whole 18.5 lb. turkey in the Bradley. Usually this size is cooked vertically on a wire turkey roaster rack, or trusted and hung in the Bradley. Another option is to butterfly (spatchcock) it, and put half a turkey on each tray.

You will need to check the labeling on the package, and it should read something like; 5% solution added, and the ingredients will list such things as water, salt, sodium phosphates etc.. If it has these ingredients, you don't need to brine, the meat is already "enhanced". Sometimes the ingredients will just list water added. If you come across this, you should brine.

I would air dry it, uncovered in the refrigerator for 12 - 24 hours. This will help dry out the skin (forming a pellicle), which will improve the smoke flavor, and help crisp the skin. I try to cook poultry in the Bradley between 235°F - 250°F. Finishing in the oven during the end of the cooking time, will also improve the skin texture.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smorker

Thanks much. Label says all natural and does not have salt or anything else in the ingredients list so I guess I'm brining.

Since this is my first try at this I think I'm going to carve it up. I can stick a thermometer in a thigh and another in a breast.

Thanks again.

Quarlow

I saw the biggest turkey I have ever seen in my life the other day at the Save-ons. It was 18.65 kilos. That is 41.3 lbs. It was massive. It would not even have fit in my oven never mind the Big Easy. You would have needed a Backhoe to pound it into the BE and then a chainsaw to carve it. LOL
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Quarlow on September 30, 2014, 09:44:51 PM
I saw the biggest turkey I have ever seen in my life the other day at the Save-ons. It was 18.65 kilos. That is 41.3 lbs. It was massive. It would not even have fit in my oven never mind the Big Easy. You would have needed a Backhoe to pound it into the BE and then a chainsaw to carve it. LOL

That is definitely one huge bird.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Old Dog

Does anyone know Where can I find the basics of brining ? Been through a bunch of postings and can,t find anything as it relates to the bradley smoker and brining. Never tried brining before and don,t know the basics! Pls help.

The Old Dog
If a man said he'll fix it, he will. There is no need to remind him every 6 months about it.

TedEbear

Smorker

So, I thawed it, brined it (just salt and water), carved it up (wings, legs, thighs, breasts). Breasts got some rub, the rest went in plain. Carcass went to Mom for soup. It's about 2 hours into a smoke.