Cold Smoking Temps

Started by zaclov, September 30, 2014, 06:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaclov

Can anyone give me some ideas of what temperature to expect if I run just the smoke generator (not with cold smoke adapter).  I know it depends on the ambient temp etc, but I'm sure some of you have done it at different temps and can give me an idea without me having to waste pucks/meat/time.  Thanks

ragweed

I've hit 130* F with just the SG running.

KyNola

^^^what he said^^^

Depending on what you are wanting to cold smoke you can always add ice in the tower to hold down the temp.  Alternatively you can crack the tower door open a little to let heat escape.  You will also lose some smoke but you will still have plenty of smoke for whatever you are smoking.

Jim O

Using my home-made cold smoke adapter,I seldom get above 90#.If it does I just add ice.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

dave97402

Without adding ice in 70 degree ambient temp, mine runs about 120-125

A bowl of ice water on the V tray and ice in the puck tray/bowl, 75 degrees in 90 degree plus ambient for 3-4 hours

tskeeter

Zach, if your ambient temp is going to be a problem, several forum members have rigged up home made cold smoker attachments.  Some are as simple as a cardboard box and some flexible dryer duct.  And, of course, duct tape.

It goes without saying that using a cardboard box cold smoke attachment, you'd want to have the smoker outside and you'd want to be careful about making sure that hot surfaces aren't in contact with anything that will burn.

MrSlick

Without ice in the bottom racks and running only the SG my temp starts off about 110 and increase to about 125 approaching the 2 hour mark. 

Roget

I'm not sure just how hot mine gets (obviously the ambient temp is the critical factor) but it definitely will get too hot for cheese. I know It will top 100 F.
YCDBSOYA