smoked mullet

Started by dave01, October 07, 2014, 06:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave01

Hi all,
Well I finally got around to smoking some mullet. I went down the road to the local fish market and talked with the guy that sells smoked fish there to try and get some ideas. We talked for awhile and before I left he gave me some of his secret rub to try on some mullet. I brined 2/3s of the fish I had and got the smoker ready. I put the secret recipe rub on some mullet with no brine as per the guys instructions, put in half of the brined mullet plain and the other half coated with Jan's rub. I had 12 people over 2 days later to taste the results and wouldn't you know, chalk up another win for Jan's Rub, it's even great on smoked fish

tskeeter

So, Dave, are you going to take some Jan's Rub back down the road to the fish market guy?  Or are you going to keep Jan's as a family secret?  Will you be referring to it as THE Rub?  Or THE Spice?  (A friend's Dad used to make a chicken rub that was referred to as The Spice.  He wouldn't even tell his son what was in it.  But, if he liked you he might give you a quart.)

dave01

HaHa, I guess I'll just call it Jan's rub if anyone asks

iceman

Did I mention I LIKE Jan's rub  ;D
That rub goes good with anything.  ;)

ragweed

Quote from: iceman on October 30, 2014, 09:16:31 AM
Did I mention I LIKE Jan's rub  ;D
That rub goes good with anything.  ;)

X2 on Jan's rub.  Heck, I've even used it as the sole seasoning for jerky!