pucks won't auto load- help!!

Started by Eelam, October 11, 2014, 11:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eelam

I am having an issue with my Bradley smoker's puck advance mechanism not auto advancing the puck. I've had many issues with the smoker since I got it 3 years back (use it may be 2 or 3 times a year) and this issue seems to look like the last straw.  I opened the box as some had suggested and did not see any lose wires or dirt.   I have attached a video hoping that will help in diagnosing the issue. URL : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Jro2WXh20&feature=youtu.be

KyNola

I will certainly yield to the more qualified members but it strikes me that the micro switch is either going bad or may need adjusting so that the arm of the puck advancing unit is making good contact with the micro switch.

I also noticed in your video that there is a spot on the puck rail system that appears to have had a very hot puck burning on it before it reached the puck burner plate.  Am I correct?  My eyesight is not all that good anymore.

ragweed

I agree with KyNola.  I had the same type of problem.  I called Bradley.  They said to replace the micro switch, I did and my problem was solved.

Habanero Smoker

It could be the micro switch, but the way that arm jerks, to me it looks like it is caused by an obstruction. Any time I have had a problem with my micro switch, I never observed any jerking like that. But I don't understand, why the problem would be intermittent. I would open up the generator, and check to see if there were any wires that may be obstructing the movement of the arm, or check the arm itself to see if there is any wear at the areas of the moveable joint of the arm. Also the part that the feeder tube is inserted in does not look aligned properly, make sure that is seated properly when you reassemble the generator.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RAF128

I had a similar problem a few years ago with an old 4 rack original.   Order a new motor that moves the pucks.   It was simple to change and solved my problem

Eelam

I opened up the casing, there was nothing obstructing the arm and all wires were in tact.  Does anyone know how much the microchip is , as well as how much it would cost to replace the entire motor?

TedEbear

Quote from: Eelam on October 12, 2014, 10:53:39 AM
I opened up the casing, there was nothing obstructing the arm and all wires were in tact.  Does anyone know how much the microchip is , as well as how much it would cost to replace the entire motor?

A replacement motor is around $21 at Yard & Pool.  Bradley Smoker Replacement Generator Motor w/ Arm and Pin

Habanero Smoker

Was the linkage in the arm alright?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Eelam

smoked a beef brisket yesterday and what a pain in the a** it was!! had to baby sat the smoker the whole  6 hours, clicking on the button to eject the pucks every 20 mins.

Here's a video of the inside. http://youtu.be/483jJ5SzcUE
It looks like the motor rotates fine left to right, only when it goes right to left it won't do a full rotation.  I am not sure if it's even supposed to do a full rotation, but could this be the issue?

Also, thank you for posting a link to motor page.  Think it's the motor that's an issue? Also, can someone provide me with a link to the chip someone mentioned here? Think it's worth changing both?

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 12, 2014, 12:52:19 PM

Was the linkage in the arm alright?

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the video. The motor arm linkage looks alright .

You may have to contact Bradley directly and ask for a "Micro Switch". I didn't see that part on the Yard & Pool site. If you going to get the Micro Switch from Bradley you may want to order the motor from them also, to cut down on postage. The Micro Switch looks like it is functioning properly, it may be that you have some stripped gears in the motor.

The motor arm is suppose to make a full rotation. The motor switching directions while it is cycling was a common early problem for the original (OBS), but no one has reported that jerking movement of the linkage. 

I
         don't
                   inhale.

KyNola

I agree with Habs.  I would replace both the motor and the micro switch to be safe.  The jerking motion does look like some teeth may be stripped in the motor.  I've not seen one jerk like that either.

Please keep us updated.

renoman

Your micro switch is fine as the arm leaves the switch every time as it should but there certainly is something up with the motor. Got to be some bad teeth or maybe something in the arm linkage is binding.

Eelam

I left a message for Bradley customer support on their Facebook page but have yet to hear back from them. I'll keep you guys in the loop what happens next. I am just a little pissed off that afte using the smoker no more than 6 or 7 times I am having to deal with repairs.  Sure wasn't expecting this when I spent $460 on it (inc taxes) just about a few years ago.

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.