Adding heat element.

Started by Thompsoncentre, October 12, 2014, 02:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thompsoncentre

Where can I get another heat element for my smoker?
And for the guys that have done it do you have a problem reaching 300?

Thompsoncentre

Also can I just add one 1000w element instead?

GusRobin

You can get your element from Bradley or a company called Allied Kenco.
Some have put a 900W not sure about a 1000.
It probably can get to 300 but if you have the non-digital, then the over temp sensor may cut out (not sure if the digital has an overtemp switch.) Most add the second element to get to temp faster and for a faster temp recovery after you open the smoker to baste or whatever. Not for getting higher temps.
The Bradley is more of a low and slow designed cooker. Just because you can get to 300, not sure you want to as I am not sure what the temp limits are for the rest of the unit. Others smarter than me may jump in.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Thompsoncentre

Well my whole reason for this is so I can smoke around 250/275. My smoker now on the hottest day of the summer will be lucky to hit 200 for a minuite then drop back down. And also when opening the door or trying to step up temps every hour or what not, not having to wait an hour for it to go up ten degrees. I kno low and slow is the game but it would be nice to smoke above the safe zone so I don't have to use cure for everything like a turkey or ribs etc.
thanks for the reply and any other solutions people may have would be appreciated.
Also mins not digital.

GusRobin

Everything (except sausage) that I cook in the Bradley I cook at 225. Butts, briskets, turkey, ribs, etc. I never use cure for them. I only use cure in homemade sausage that I start out at 120* and slowly ramp up.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

Quote from: Thompsoncentre on October 12, 2014, 03:02:49 PM
Also can I just add one 1000w element instead?

If you  can find a 1000 watt element that  would fit you  can,  I would have  concerns about the  heat  off the element affecting the metal on the back of the  smoker unless you  mount it far  enough towards the  middle of the box, Also i would recommend that you  beef up the wiring a  little to handle the additional wattage,,,  the  original wiring is designed for  500 watts.. with a  10 amp fuse to protect the smoker which  includes the 125 watt puck burner.

some have added an 2'nd element totally 1000 watts with  no problems, in theory and practice  1000 watts in a bradley can be  done 

dave01

I did the 900 watt upgrade in my 6 rack digital and have no problems with tempuratures anymore. I use it with a 1800 watt Auber dual probe plug and play

KyNola

If your Bradley will not exceed 200 on a hot summer day I think you've got a bigger problem somewhere.  Your digital is not going to reach 300 no matter the size of the heating element(s) because it has a high temp cutoff just like the original.  What are you using to measure the temp inside of the tower?

There's no reason to use Cure #1 on everything you are smoking.

Thompsoncentre

After I read some more posts I see guys smoking (except sausage) at 220-230 and really that's as high as I need. But yeah I can't get up to 220 empty on a hot summer day! I started thinking after if maybe it's my extension cord? Al
So I thought if u don't smoke above 170 you need to cure it?
Thanks for the replays guys appreciate it

dave01

I don't know about your Bradley but mine was around 25 degrees off and some have said theirs was up to 30 degrees off so if you were just going by the Bradley it may be hotter than you think.

TedEbear

Quote from: Thompsoncentre on October 14, 2014, 11:39:55 AMBut yeah I can't get up to 220 empty on a hot summer day! I started thinking after if maybe it's my extension cord?

Extension cord?  I believe it says in your owners manual that you're not supposed to use an extension cord with the Bradley.  That could be part of the problem, especially if it's not a heavy duty appliance extension cord.  Also, do you keep the top vent at least 1/2 or more open all the time?  If it is closed (or close to it) it will keep the chamber temp cooler, not hotter.

Thompsoncentre

Yeah it's wide open. I have it build into the wall of my shed now so I need an extension cord. Maybe I'll get a heavy duty one or just make one. And yes my vents always open

KyNola

If you must use an extension cord use the shortest one you can and make sure it is heavy duty.  Also, if possible plug your Bradley into a dedicated circuit.  If that's not feasible plug it into a circuit that doesn't have an energy hog also on the same circuit.