Smoked Canada Goose Sausage

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, October 13, 2014, 06:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

A buddy of mine gave me some goose breasts from some Canadians that he shot with the instructions, "see what you can do with them".  There aren't many goose sausage recipes out there but there are a few duck, so I tried a hybrid of a couple.  This was a first for me so I welcome all feedback, please.  This is the recipe I went with:

2 lbs goose breast
0.75 pound pork shoulder
1/4 cup dextrose
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp fresh rosemary
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp coriander
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp kosher salt
5 grams Cure #1

They weren't bad but I think this recipe can be tweaked.  Something else, I had some shortly after blooming with some good mustard and they were very strong and gamey.  I put them in the fridge for a couple of days and the gaminess went away.  Is this normal?  I haven't tried them warmed up yet, maybe that will release more flavour.   I'd like to nail down a recipe because buddy says there will be lots more coming.

pikeman_95

WLS
I don't know about the spice blend as I have never tried this blend, but I would guess you might want to cut the goose even further to1/2 pork butt. I would not microwave them to reheat them. I have found that microwaving wild meat to reheat it seems for to make the taste stronger. I would try to heat them in hot water. Now If you would like to try my summer sausage recipe send me your email and I can send it to you. I have used it before and it worked quite well. You still might detect some goose favor or texture difference as it is different from the texture of venison. I do have a recipe for pickled goose breast that is very good. [sounds crappy but taste great.] here is a link to the post.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=21110.0

Habanero Smoker

Another way to cut down on the gamey taste, you may want to replace the dextrose with trehalose. It reduces the gamey flavor of wild game, and the fishy flavor out of fish. I get mine from LEMs.

Trehalose

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rajzer

Habanero thanks for that.  Did not know that this stuff existed.  Did a bit of googling and it's quite a versitile sweetener, with the ability to mask off-flavours.  Can you elaborate a bit how you have used it and does it actually work on that skanky honker meat?

Habanero Smoker

About 2 years ago I was compiling a list called "Sausage Ingredients" and that is one that I came across. Out of curiosity I ordered some from LEM's, and back then they didn't have any instructions on their web site, so I communicated with them through emails. I mainly use it when I wet brine salmon or bluefish, and use it as they direct; 1 Tbls. per quart. It has half the sweetness of sugar, so I add white or brown sugar to the brine also. They are both good tasting fish, but they have a harsh after taste, and the trehalose mellows out that flavor. I've also used it in sausages made of pork and/or beef. I was unable to detect any noticeable difference in taste, but the sausages did seem juicier. I don't come across wild game, so I have never tested it with wild game. I should mention that some people have a side effect to this sugar. Some people cannot digest it, and they may develop symptoms similar to lactose intolerance.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

WoodlawnSmoker

Thanks for that suggestion Habs, didn't know about this product but think I'll order some to keep on hand. 

Habanero Smoker

I'm hoping to get my hands of some venison in the next few week, and I will try it out on game meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.