Smoked Ice Cream

Started by ppclaire, October 17, 2014, 12:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppclaire

Tonight/tomorrow  my first attempt at smoked ice cream (with mint and choc chip). I promise to post pictures once i get it done. I read about it online somewhere and decided to have a go

So these are going to be the basic steps I plan on following
1. smoke some pure cream, whilst it is sitting in an ice bath - 1 - 2 hours.
2. taste test cream and dilute if too strong with non smoked cream for perfect smoke flavour
3. place bunch fresh mint in smokey cream in a saucepan and bring to the boil then turn off to help the mint flavor spread
3. mix, sugar, egg yolks, smokey mint cream and milk to make a custard kind of mix
4. I am going to do my mixing in my thermomix then transfer to the freezer then churn a couple of times in the thermo (maybe every 4 hours or so)

Anyone on here have experience with making smoked ice cream and any flavour combos that work well, next I am thinking salted caramel, maybe with bacon bits?

I also plan on making some smoked butter using the cream I smoke, also be making the butter in my thermomix :) will add photos soon :)

Habanero Smoker

I'm one of those few people in the world that doesn't like ice cream, but your flavor combinations sound great. Though I have no experience making ice cream, I do have experience adding smoke flavor to liquids. Place the cream in a pan that will provide the most surface exposure, and since it is cream, placing that pan in an ice bath is a good idea. Stir it a few times during the smoking period. As you stated, if the smoke flavor is too strong, you can always dilute the smoked cream with fresh cream.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ppclaire

Ok so I worked out how to post a photo so will add the whole process tomorrow

ppclaire

ppclaire

I am using a recipe I found on serious eats.

I Combined milk and cream brought to simmer then turned off and added mint. Wait 2 hours to steep

Then add 1/2 cup sugar, 6 egg yolks, 1/2 cup honey to thermo blitz for a few seconds, add strained dairy mix. Cook at 90c for 8 minutes speed 2. You don't need a thermomix for this step you can just stir it all in a saucepan like a custard.

Then strain into metal tin

I don't have an ice cream maker so going to freeze for 4 hours then churn in the thermomix then will repeat this again but while churning will drizzle melted dark chocolate in to the ice cream.

Hopefully the next steps work.

Habanero Smoker

Man!! I wish I had (could afford :) ) a thermomix.

It looks good, even at this stage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ppclaire

So final churn completed and packaged for freezer. It tastes great very natural mint flavour and subtle smokiness. Not something you would sit down and eat heaps of but I can imagine it in a plate at fancy restaurant beside some wicked brownie.