Preheating: Pucks or no?

Started by 97runner, October 17, 2014, 10:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97runner

Hey all,

I just received my bradley and am getting ready to season it, then use it.

I have decided I want to try a brisket first.  My question is, since I haven't unboxed the unit yet, do you advance the puck right after you turn the smoke generator on?  Or do you wait for the cabinet to reach temperature, advance the puck, then put the meat in?

I ask because, frankly, the pucks aren't cheap and I don't want to waste several of them with no meat in the cabinet.  I've always wanted a bradley, but the cost of the pucks make me miss my old wood smoker.

Any advice you can give me would be great.

pensrock

I always preheat both the tower and puck burner. Once I'm ready to start smoking then I load the pucks and advance till one is in place. I would preheat at least 1/2 hour. Welcome.

97runner

Thank you, Pensrock.  The instruction aren't super clear on whether or not you can heat the tower without burning a puck as well.  I just don't want to waste precious pucks while the chamber is heating up and not having food inside.

I had to order pucks, no one around me had them locally.  At ~$0.40 each, that adds up over the course of time.  To much to waste them.  I'm making the jump from wood smokers (my last one that I had for several several years rusted through).  I'm excited to see how the electric smoker works.  My fingers are crossed I dont have issues (I was skittish on purchasing the Bradley - they have very hit and miss reviews).  I chose the original over digital because the failure rate of the digital seems much higher.

Here's to hoping all goes well!  ;D

Habanero Smoker

Hi 97runner;

Welcome to the forum.

Many of us leave the bisquette burner on the full length of the cook, for the extra heat.

The below link maybe helpful
Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

welcome to the forum.

1) keep the top vent open, prevents moisture  build up and  dripping onto the  meat
2) preheat both the  box and puck burner for  30 mins,
3) set the box temp between 225 and  250 F
4) cook the  brisket to an internal temp 195 - 200f
5) cook by internal temp of the  meat  not  by  time
6) smoke for no more then 4 hours, max  12 pucks + 2 that get  left on the tongue of the  puck burner
7) after the smoke is done clean out your  water bowl and add in flavoured drink...  soda or beer
8) enjoy a  beverage  while you  smoke
9) figure an hour to hour and half for the  meat to  get  done ( estimate only...  some get  done  sooner,... some take longer )

enjoy

tskeeter

97runner, for pucks, I buy from a variety of sources, based on who has the best price or availability.  I see that Amazon has a 120 count box of apple for $40.87, free shipping.  I've also used Allied Kenco.  I think I saw the 120 count boxes for about $40 on their web site in the last couple of weeks.  Or Spokane Spice is usually priced pretty well.  And there is always the forum favorite, Yard and Pool.

Welcome to the forum!

TedEbear

Quote from: beefmann on October 17, 2014, 03:19:35 PM
9) figure an hour to hour and half for the  meat to  get  done ( estimate only...  some get  done  sooner,... some take longer )

I think you left out the "per lb" part in that.   1-1.5 hours cook time per lb.   ;)

beefmann

Quote from: TedEbear on October 17, 2014, 06:26:11 PM
Quote from: beefmann on October 17, 2014, 03:19:35 PM

I think you left out the "per lb" part in that.   1-1.5 hours cook time per lb.   ;)

whoops

TNRockyraccoon

One thing I've noticed on my Bradley is that the time that each puck gets to sit on the burner is about 18.5 minutes. I've also noticed the puck in the on deck circle will actually start smoking during it's cycle next to the burner. Thus giving you the 20 minutes of smoke time.

For that reason, I preheat for about thirty minutes, add item to be smoked, then advance the first puck to the on deck position. It will get a full cycle next to the burner and be smoking when it hits the burner.

This technique always gives me completely smoked bisquettes and none that are partially burned.

GusRobin

Quote from: TNRockyraccoon on October 27, 2014, 06:22:52 PM

For that reason, I preheat for about thirty minutes, add item to be smoked, then advance the first puck to the on deck position. It will get a full cycle next to the burner and be smoking when it hits the burner.
Same here
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.