Beef sirloin roast - sear or not?

Started by Slamdunk, October 18, 2014, 11:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slamdunk

So, I'm needing some help here...
I'm doing a 7 pound roast and planned on putting a rub on it as well as injecting it with a butter/garlic mix. My better half has suggested that in order to put a crust on the roast, I sear the roast before it goes in the smoker.
My thought is that if I put the rub on for 3 hours before and then sear , the rub will in effect get burnt off and not leave some tasty goodness.
What do you think? Sear or not ?

pensrock

I have done tri-tips by doing the smoke and cook till almost done then searing. I think this is called a reverse sear. They come out great.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: pensrock on October 18, 2014, 11:56:14 AM
I have done tri-tips by doing the smoke and cook till almost done then searing. I think this is called a reverse sear. They come out great.

X2. The reverse sear is short enough in duration that it doesn't end up overcooking the roast below the surface of the roast/steak. If you're reverse searing a steak, it only takes 1 to 1-1/2 min. per side at the 450-500F range, or sides if you're doing a roast that's more square or round in nature. The searing won't burn off the rub with the short duration.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Slamdunk