Smoked Pickled Eggs - Hab's recipe based

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, October 18, 2014, 01:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

I'll be going to the camp next month so I'm starting to prepare some goodies.  Not so sure giving a bunch of guys pickled eggs in a small cottage is a good idea but what the heck.  I used Habs' recipe as a base and just tweaked it a bit.  The brine smelled wonderful, filled the house with the scent of autumn.  Here's what I did, can't wait to try them, kept a couple back for some smoked egg salad sandwiches.

18 extra large smoked eggs
4 C. Apple Cider Vinegar
1 C. water
½ C. white sugar
3 fresh, smoked jalapeno peppers
1 smoked large red onion
3 cloves smoked garlic, coarsely chopped
2 bay leaves
4 small red hot peppers from our garden
2 Tbs. Franks Red Hot sauce
1 1/2 Tbs. Kosher Salt
1 tsp. Pickling Spice

I brought everything to a low boil, covered and let simmer for 10 minutes.  I cold-smoked the hard boiled eggs for 1 hour and 20 minutes, I used hickory.  I covered the eggs with the brine and into the fridge to get extra ripe for the boys, can't wait to try them.

Ready for the smoke

Smells Fabulous

Now the wait

May as well serve with some smoked Balderston Cheddar

Habanero Smoker

I haven't made these in a while. I may make a dozen or two this week. If the recipe is too tangy, you can add more sweetener to your eggs by making a simple syrup 1:1 ratio and add it to the pickling solution until you get the desired sweetness. I noticed you used red onions. They may along with the jalapenos give a tint to your egg.

Side Note: Since it is close to Halloween, you can add any food coloring you like to the pickling solution to make some colorful and often weird looking pickled eggs. :) I have a niece that does this around Easter time. She often makes deviled eggs out of them, but calls them Angel Eggs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dave01

This looks like something I need to try but first I need to find out what pickling spice is, I'll google it

Habanero Smoker

There are numerous blends out there. Most serve their purpose, but the best blend I've ever used is the blend that Penzy Spice makes. A lot of the other brands use mostly mustard seed.

You can also make your own. The link below has a good pickling spice recipe:

Homemade Pickling Spice

Edited; posted the wrong link

I
         don't
                   inhale.

WoodlawnSmoker

This was a pretty good recipe, nice taste.  The whites were just a tad rubbery but not bad.  I read somewhere that using closer to a 50/50 vinegar to water ratio can help.  Not sure about that, I may try it next time.  I'll do these again.

Habanero Smoker

The 50/50 mixture will definitely help on the texture, there will just be less of a tang.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

dave01