Got New 4 Rack Digital Today

Started by projump, July 26, 2006, 07:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

projump

I'm very impressed with it so far. It was packaged real good, all parts there and functions great. I look forward to smoking some pork steaks this weekend.

When there are visible vapors in ignited carbonaceous material, there you will find parts of an omnivorous ungulate from the suidae family of mammals.

Arcs_n_Sparks

projump,

Guess I forgot what a clean inside looks like.....

Fire that baby up and start giving us reports. We need some more digital feedback... ;D

Arcs_n_Sparks

projump

Yes indeed, I'll fire it up, post info about its performance and post pics of the end result-----the meat.
                    projump :D
When there are visible vapors in ignited carbonaceous material, there you will find parts of an omnivorous ungulate from the suidae family of mammals.

icerat4

wow the inside of my box looks like the outside of his.lol :D   

Just another weekend with the smoker...

iceman

That thing is WAY to clean projump! Get er seasoned and get some critters in there. :D
Have fun.

Oldman

QuoteGuess I forgot what a clean inside looks like.....
Funny I was thinking the same thing.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

projump

Well I used the new Bradley last night. I smoked pork steak and chicken thighs. I use a dry rub that I mix up myself.  I smoked them for 4 hrs and 15 min at 200 degrees. I preheated the smoker to 230 degrees for 1.5 hrs, loaded all 4 racks, then when the temp got back up to 200 I set the temp preset to 200.                                                                               The temp of the digital heats to 201 and stays for a few minutes, then over about a 15-20 minute period will drop to 185 and then heat back up to 201. So there is approx a 15 degree fluxuation in temp throughout the process which seems ok to me. You guys with the PID"S, how much does your temp vary durring cooking? Is a 15 degrees variation good?
   Here's some pics of the meat, it was really good!!!

West Coast Kansan

projump, the pics look great. My 4RD will overshoot the temp point about 5 to 7 degrees and then drop in a similar fashion (seems to drop less and overshoot less when it is in the sun). Anyway the look and as you say  - it was really good tells me the temp swing is just right.  A PID will however drive a more accurate temperature. Not a big deal to me but I know some guys really enjoy the pursuit of temperature perfection and while I will not move to a PID I can appreciate the pursuit.  All a part of the fun. Looks like a great first result. How long until you try another smoke? I lasted two days between my first and second on the Bradley. It may have been a record (but then I am kinda weak on this kind of thing)!

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

heinz

Projump, was that your total time (4:15) after the meat went in?

Those pics make me want to try pork that way. Was the chicken skin eatable or a throwaway? Just asking because when I did a whole chicken it was real good, except for the skin which was too touch to enjoy. Haven't smoked for a couple of weks. About time to do some again.

TomG

WCK,  I'm not sure anyone has suggested using a PID with the BSD.  PIDs are an option to the slide rheostat for temp control in the original BSs.

-Tom-

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: TomG on July 31, 2006, 09:12:56 AM
WCK,  I'm not sure anyone has suggested using a PID with the BSD.  PIDs are an option to the slide rheostat for temp control in the original BSs.

-Tom-

TomG,

I think Projump is asking a comparision question: digital BS PID loop control tightness versus other PID controllers that people have put on their original BSes.

Arcs_n_Sparks

TomG

Quote from: Arcs_n_Sparks on July 31, 2006, 12:38:14 PM

I think Projump is asking a comparision question: digital BS PID loop control tightness versus other PID controllers that people have put on their original BSes.

Arcs_n_Sparks

AnS,

I didn't realize that the thermostat in the Dig.BS has been IDed as a PID.  If it is a PID, good on BS.

Arcs_n_Sparks

TomG,

Got me there and a good question. I guess in this day and age of $2.49 microcontrollers, I had assumed that the digital BS had a PID control loop. Given the temp swings of projump, that is a very good question.....

Arcin' & Sparkin'

bubbagump

Quote from: TomG on July 31, 2006, 01:42:57 PM
AnS,

I didn't realize that the thermostat in the Dig.BS has been IDed as a PID.  If it is a PID, good on BS.

I doubt it's a PID controller, especially with the temp. swings noted by its users. It's more likely just a digital thermostat, which IMO is still better than the slide rheostat on the original.

Bubbagump

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: bubbagump on July 31, 2006, 08:02:10 PM
Quote from: TomG on July 31, 2006, 01:42:57 PM
AnS,

I doubt it's a PID controller, especially with the temp. swings noted by its users. It's more likely just a digital thermostat, which IMO is still better than the slide rheostat on the original.

Bubbagump

Agree with Bubbagump on that point; digital setpoint still better than the slider (unless you want to watch the temps while drinking adult beverages.  :D :D :D)

Arcs_n_Sparks