Cheese question

Started by ppclaire, October 18, 2014, 08:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppclaire

I have never smoked cheese, what's the go with storing it after smoking?

RAF128

vacuum seal and put in the fridge.   Don't open for a month.  The longer the better

RedJada

Since you never done cheese before. You need to taste a piece before storing.;D Besides that, RAF128 has the best answer. But if you don't have a vacuum sealer, you can wrap the cheese tightly several times with plastic wrap and wait.

Jim O

I'd suggest vent wide open, no more than 2 1/2 - 3 hrs smoke,and watch your temps. If temp starts to climb near 100 F ,add ice to bowl or open door to allow temps to drop.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

pensrock

I have done well over a thousand pounds of smoked cheese. I rarely vac seal it. I normally only wrap with 'Glad Press N Seal' then put into a zip bag. I have had cheese well over a year with no problems. Most of the cheese I do is for other people, I do not know if they remove it from my wrapping and vac seal it but IMHO it is not really needed unless you cut it after smoking. Once cut the protective layer of smoke is gone and the cheese can mold like any other cheese. That said, there is nothing wrong with vac sealing it, vac sealing works great. But you do pay more to vac seal it. You should let it rest and mellow out for a good month before eating, the longer it mellows out the better. Some peoples taste buds sense  smoke different than others and may feel even after 4 weeks it is still too strong. If so,let it go for two more weeks and taste it again.

ppclaire

Thanks everyone, very helpful , I have a vac sealer so will go ahead with that and try my first batch this weekend :)

Cheers
Pia