My first effort at smoked salmon

Started by English john, October 19, 2014, 04:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

English john

Hi, all. Smoking my first ever salmon fillets - 2no farmed fish fillets - each 1kg. May have messed up, as I did not cure them. Splashed with lemon juice and spices etc. If it fails then i intend to make salmon pate'. :) Smoking them for 3 hours methinks+additional cooking time as required. Weather here in the uk is turning - after enjoying an indian summer, however today is sunny and windy in Oxford.

Next weekend am planning some beef short ribs - meaty n spicy type. Mmmmmmmm.

KyNola

I'll bet they turn out just fine.  No need to cure them when hot smoking them.

tskeeter

Hi, John.  I think you are going to be OK without curing your salmon.  It just may not be what you expected.

A couple of months back a forum member posted about applying some smoke to his salmon and then finishing cooking the salmon in the smoker.  He said it made a delicious meal.  I suspect that it was a bit like a smokey flavored baked salmon.

Since you didn't cure the fish, I expect that it will have more moisture in it and be less firm than what we think of as smoked salmon.  And it may not keep as well, due to the higher moisture content.

ragweed

Not to worry.  That's the way I fix most of the salmon and arctic char we eat.  Skin side down, coat top w/EVOO, season with lemon pepper, ginger, garlic powder and a little dill.  220* F with alder smoke.  Takes about 1 1/2 hrs.  It's to die for  ;D ;D