pork loin rib roast

Started by Tiffin, October 26, 2014, 11:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiffin

Does anyone out there have experience smoking a pork loin rib roast? Going to put one in today, would love some advice!
its about 1.6kg.
BDS4 unmodified

Habanero Smoker

There are a few ways you can prepare this. If it is bone in, you can make it a crown roast, or just roast it bone side down. Also if it has the bones, you can trim off the bones leaving a good portion of meat, and you will have baby backs plus a boneless roast.

The best thing to do is to use your favorite oven roasted pork loin or rib roast recipe, and prepare it as if you were going to use the oven. Then instead of placing it in the kitchen oven cook it in the Bradley at about 225°F. For pork loins, I only apply 2 hours of smoke, and prefer pecan or apple. I cook until an internal temperature of 142°F, loosely tent, and allow to rest 20 - 30 minutes before slicing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

WoodlawnSmoker

Habs has you covered in all areas.  If there is one thing I would endorse it's his internal temperature for doneness.  It may sound low but it's not, if you cook higher than this (which most of us do at first) you will get a good tasting but dry loin.

Tiffin

Yea i always cook my pork to around that temp. once you start doing it you cant go back. Roast is in the smoker, it was bone in, i left it that way, cooking bone side down. went with simple spices and experimenting with some honey mustard flavors. god only knows if it will turn it. looks and smells great so far though. If it turns out ill share pics and such. If not ill pretend it never happened :P
BDS4 unmodified

OldHickory

Here is one I did and posted a few years ago, have done many more the same since then.  Look under search.

Pork Rib Roast
« by OldHickory on April 18, 2012, 04:01:09 pm »

Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Tiffin

well it turned out fantastic. Rubbed with a little olive oil and mustard, sprinkled with salt, pepper rosemary and garlic powder. smoked for 2 hours with whiskey oak pucks. removed from smoker and glazed with a mix of honey, mustard and apple cider vinegar. Continued cooking for about 2 hours at 230oF until IT was 142. Rested for 20 minutes.
The spices and glaze were subtle but delicious. Roast was beyond juicy and i could cut it with a fork, but still good texture.

I would make it again.

BDS4 unmodified

Saber 4

Habanero Smoker

Your roast looks very good, and your glaze sounds even better. I'm going to use that glaze on my next ribs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tiffin

Yea that was actually my plan, I wanted to try it out on some ribs. Think it will be good.
BDS4 unmodified

watchdog56

Look great. Nice glaze on it.