Free digital 6 rack

Started by fjp110, October 21, 2014, 02:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fjp110

Through a rewards program at work I am able to get a 6 rack or 4 rack digital for free.  I already have a 4 rack non-digital.  I am happy with the one I have now the only complaint I have ever had is the  temp control.  But that has never been too much of an issue. the upgrade seems interesting if the temp control really works.  So I guess my question is: if I get the digital does the heat control really control the heat?  Can I set it at a temp and walk away? If I se the temp and go to bed will my brisket be done properly the next morning?

KyNola

I have owned a 4 rack digital for 7 years.  The digital generator allows you to set the time of smoking and the cooking temp more accurately.  That said, the cooking temperature on a stock digital model will swing up and down just like it does on the original model.  Since you have experience with the original model you know what I'm talking about and methods to help it.

Great opportunity for you to get a free one though!

GusRobin

Depends what you want to do with it. If you are happy with the 4 rack and don't need a bigger size, I'd get the 6 rack, sell it and get a PID controller for your 4 rack and have some extra money.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Wildcat

I suggest you keep it. If you do not need another smoker for large projects then you have a spare. The one you have will eventually die - or at least need some costly repairs one day. It has also been my experience that generally prices only get higher over time.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

fjp110

Quote from: GusRobin on October 21, 2014, 08:37:38 PM
Depends what you want to do with it. If you are happy with the 4 rack and don't need a bigger size, I'd get the 6 rack, sell it and get a PID controller for your 4 rack and have some extra money.

Good call on the PID.  I had totally forgotten about them. That is the way I am going to go. Buy a PID for the existing smoker and hold onto the rewards points for something else down the road.  I just need to look into these PIDs more now . . .

TedEbear

Quote from: fjp110 on October 22, 2014, 04:14:36 PM
Good call on the PID.  I had totally forgotten about them. That is the way I am going to go. Buy a PID for the existing smoker and hold onto the rewards points for something else down the road.  I just need to look into these PIDs more now . . .

If you like to tinker you can add a PID to your existing smoker for a lot less than the cost of a plug-n-play PID.  Here's how I did mine a few years ago.  I bought everything from Auber.

fjp110

that looks like a really good set up.  I do like to tinker but this seems way above what I want to get into in.  Does it work well?  Not does your set up function but does the PID work well for smoking?

TedEbear

The PID keeps the chamber temp to within a few degrees of the setpoint.  All it does is regulate the temp, not the smoke generator.  The plug-n-play models will do that but they cost a lot more.  The dual probe is $188 on the Auber website. The parts to do mine were around $70-$80.

Quarlow

If you even think about a PID for one second, go get one. It will change your experience like night/day. I was lucky enough to receive a used one from Mikeradio (wonder how the heck he is doin') for free and I can't wait till I can afford a dual. The single is so great the dual will just be awesome.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.