Rack cleaning tips/tricks

Started by Matth, October 23, 2014, 04:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matth

Any tips/tricks to cleaning the racks?

SWMBO was a trooper the other night.  She got home from work couple hours before me and agreed to rinse the skinless fillets I was brining and place them on racks to dry before I got home to smoke them.  I forgot to tell her to use the frog mats and to spay them with Pam.  But stupid me didn't think to change that when I got home, I just put the racks in and went to smoking. 

Now it's taken me longer to clean the racks than it did to smoke the fish.  Even after 24 hours of soaking, the stuff still is a royal pain to remove to get a clean rack again.

What's the secret?  Thought about putting them in the self-cleaning oven?  Experts, please share your labor saving ideas.

dave01

Hi Matth,
The easiest way I've found to clean my racks is to get 1 of my kids or grandkids to do it.
Wish I could be more help,
Dave

pensrock

Mine go in the dishwasher, always come out clean.

renoman

tailfeathers

Quote from: renoman on October 23, 2014, 06:14:52 AM
Spray with "Zepp" purple cleaner from HD.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-1-gal-Industrial-Purple-Degreaser-ZU0856128/100047759
x2 and thanks again Renoman! That stuff is a lifesaver!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tskeeter

Matt, you could try a combination of these guys ideas.  Put the racks in a garbage bag and spray with the purple cleaner.  Let them sit for a day or two.  If there is heavy accumulation on the racks, you might want to take a brush and brush off as much of the accumulation as you can.   Then into the dish washer.

I've been washing all of the stainless/chromed parts for my smoker in the dishwasher since I got the smoker a couple of years ago.  Haven't had any problems with rust or the like.  So I think you can use the lazy approach without fear of damaging your smoker components.

TedEbear

Quote from: tskeeter on October 23, 2014, 08:59:09 AMSo I think you can use the lazy approach with fear of damaging your smoker components.

With fear?

Pistol Pete

Some people think loading the dishwasher means getting your wife drunk.

I spray the racks with Pam before use.  Afterwards they clean off easy with Zep or Barkeepers Friend Liquid after soaking "a bit" in water.

And no, my wife's name isn't Pam.

tskeeter

beefmann

let mine soak in soapy water for  24  hours..  rinse... then  let  dry... before use  hit with a  wire brush and  rinse off..  use

renoman

Quote from: tailfeathers on October 23, 2014, 08:37:37 AM

Quote from: renoman on October 23, 2014, 06:14:52 AM
Spray with "Zepp" purple cleaner from HD.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-1-gal-Industrial-Purple-Degreaser-ZU0856128/100047759
x2 and thanks again Renoman! That stuff is a lifesaver!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next time I clean mine I will make a You Tube vid. You really can't believe how well this stuff works until you see it.

TNRockyraccoon

I've been firing up the pressure washer and doing my racks, v tray drip bowl and bottom tray. Everything comes out sparkling and it takes five minutes.

Might be a more of a hassle once winter rolls in.