Hot and Sour Oriental chicken wings

Started by OmegaMan, July 26, 2006, 08:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OmegaMan

This makes about 20 to 30 wings.

Marinate wings for up to 2 hours in equal parts of (enough to coat):
Hot sauce (Frank's works well)
Girard's Champagne salad dressing (or italian)

Glaze consists of:

1/2 cup chinese sweet chili sauce (easily found in oriental section of grocery store)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tea garlic (minced)
1/2 tea soy sauce
1 tea minced ginger
1/2 tablespoon honey

optional for heat:
1 tablespoon Sambal chili paste
option for more oriental flavor:
1/4 tea toasted seasame oil

Marinate wings for up to 2 hours.
Preheat Bradley to 220 and use mesquite, oak or hickory pucks.  I smoke for 1 hour.
Cook wings between 2 and 3 hours or until juices run clear.

To make glaze:
Add ingredients in sauce pan and cook over medium heat until it begins to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer 20 to 30 minutes until glaze becomes thick (reduces by at least 1/3rd).
Stir ocassionaly to ensure mixture does not burn. 
Adjust sugar/vinegar/sambal to desired taste.

Coat cooked wings with cooled sauce in plastic container or large zip loc.

No need for any garnish or dip (although jullianed scallions look nice).  Its all ready to go. 

manxman

Great recipe OmegaMan, going to try it this coming weekend.  ;D
Manxman

JJC

Perfect timing for me, too--just bought 8# of wings for a Q on Sunday  ;D
John
Newton MA

Chez Bubba

Sooooooooo guys,

How'd they turn out??????????????????????????? ??? ???

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

manxman

They turned out really well Kirk, followed the recipe to the letter which is most unlike me as I usually feel the need to tinker with recipes to add the personnal touch! :-[

I did keep the heat down a tad as they were also for my two young boys, next time I will probably split into two poertions and follow the optional heat bit to pep some of them up.

Bottom line.............. A+!
Manxman

OmegaMan

QuoteI did keep the heat down a tad as they were also for my two young boys, next time I will probably split into two poertions and follow the optional heat bit to pep some of them up.

I'm glad you liked them manxman.  I make some pretty good spicy buffalo wings, but my wife wanted me to make something that our 4 year old might like (he's a very picky eater).  I mimmicked a recipe from a Chinese restaurant I have been going to for 30 years.  I'm a spicy nut, so I like mine really hot, but when I share recpies I tone them down quite a bit because of others tastes and preferences.  The Sambal chili sauce is really hot and when I reduce down the mixture, breath it in, and if I cough and my eyes water it has enough vinegar and heat.  When you coat the wings you lose some of the tanginess and heat...   ;D

icerat4

Thanks o man.These worked out ok.Real nice.Thanks again. ;)

Just another weekend with the smoker...

manxman

QuoteI make some pretty good spicy buffalo wings

How about the recipe for these as well OmegaMan. If they are anywhere near as good as the Hot and Sour Oriental chicken wings it would be most unfair to keep it to yourself!!  ;D
Manxman

OmegaMan

Hey guys.

manxman, the only thing I do differently for the Hot wings is the sauce.  I simmer Frank's Red Hot sauce with 1/2 T butter, 1 T brown sugar, some cayenne pepper and Haberno sauce (for extra heat) until they combine.  Shake them up with the wings and serve with Bleu cheese or Ranch dressing ... 

Given that you're on the other side of the pond, I don't know if Frank's is avaliable for you.  You can use just about any cayenne pepper sauce and adjust it using brown sugar/honey with vinegar to your particular taste.

Have fun,

Patrick

p.s. When I make spicy food such as this I tend to have a cooling dessert.  I have a really good and easy Key Lime cheesecake pie recipe (which isn't runny) that I'll post if y'all are interested.   

manxman

Thanks OmegaMan.

Never heard of Frank's Red Hot Pepper sauce, sure I can find a suitable alternative though if it is not on sale over here.......... I love buffalo wings particularly with blue cheese dressing. Each time I have visited the US this dish is always on my list of favourites and I have tended to visit the same couple of restaurants that do good ones frequently.

QuoteKey Lime cheesecake pie recipe

And as for Key Lime Cheesecake...... yum! I have found the quality varies massively in restaurants in the US but a good one is soooooooo good. Occasionally see it in supermarkets over on this side of the pond but they are generally pretty insipid.

So as for a recipe........... YES PLEASE! ;D
Manxman

iceman

Quote from: OmegaMan on August 09, 2006, 12:02:40 PM
p.s. When I make spicy food such as this I tend to have a cooling dessert.  I have a really good and easy Key Lime cheesecake pie recipe (which isn't runny) that I'll post if y'all are interested.   
I'd sure like to get that from you OmegaMan if your up to giving it out.

OmegaMan

QuoteI'd sure like to get that from you OmegaMan if your up to giving it out.
No problem, let me dig it out of the archives and I'll post it under the non-smoking recipe section.

BTW, Iceman if you send your sauce to CA., let me know.  You can PM me or post how much, quanity,
payment, blah blah blah...

Thanks,

Patrick

iceman

Quote from: OmegaMan on August 09, 2006, 05:49:19 PM
QuoteI'd sure like to get that from you OmegaMan if your up to giving it out.
No problem, let me dig it out of the archives and I'll post it under the non-smoking recipe section.

BTW, Iceman if you send your sauce to CA., let me know.  You can PM me or post how much, quanity,
payment, blah blah blah...

Thanks,

Patrick
Sauce goes to forum members for $ 5.00 a 16 oz. jar (drinking mug). I can fit 4 jars in the prioroity flat rate box that will ship anywhere in the U.S. for $ 8.00. ie. 4 jars plus freight to CA. would be $ 28.00, 3 jars to CA. would be $ 23.00 etc. You can just mail a check AFTER you receive the sauce. Just e-mail me if you want to order.
Thanks in advance for the recipe.