Jan's rub

Started by JackAttack, October 28, 2014, 04:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackAttack

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and have a quick question. I just made up a double batch of Jan's rub in anticipation of doing a pork tenderloin tomorrow. I did a taste test of the rub and found it to be very salty, is this how it is supposed to be? I don't want to ruin a piece of meat by having it too salty. Also what flavor smoke wood pair well with a pork tenderloin? I have alder, apple, hickory, maple, and mesquite to chose from. Thanks in advance!

manfromplaid

after its applied its not to salty  and I like to use apple or hickory for almost all my smokes

pensrock

I think apple, maple or hickory are all good with pork.

JackAttack

Thanks guys, will attempt to post pics of my first project.

TedEbear

Quote from: JackAttack on October 28, 2014, 07:47:16 PM
Thanks guys, will attempt to post pics of my first project.

1. Upload your pic(s) to a free host site, such as Photobucket.
2. To the right of each pic is an "IMG" box.  Left click in that box and the contents will automatically be copied onto you clipboard.
3. Paste the contents into a new message on here.
4. You can click on the "Preview" box to see if it worked before posting the message.

Hint: If you think you'll be using Photobucket for more than just food pics it's a good idea to create a different folder for each theme such as Food, Hobbies, Cars, etc.  Otherwise, your main folder will soon be cluttered with pics of all kinds of unrelated things and it will be hard to find what you're looking for later on.  Ask me how I learned this.   ;)

I like to use milder smoke flavors for pork and stronger ones for beef.

KyNola

Hello Jack, my wife is the Jan of Jan's Original Dry Rub and we created the Rub.  I won't attempt to explain why it seems salty to you.  Perhaps the various herb and seasoned salts that you used have a higher salt content than others.  You may just have a higher sensitivity to the taste of salt than others. 

As for the woods for pork, I prefer hickory but apple works great as well.

Good luck with your tenderloins and do let us know how they turn out.  I will especially be interested to hear your thoughts on the saltiness of the Rub once it has been applied, cooked and eaten. 

JackAttack

Hi guys, well my first smoke turned out great! I posted my pics in the meat section on the forum. KyNola, the rub turned out great, didn't taste overly salty at all, I can see why everyone raves about it!   :D   I was a little nervous about the smoker not getting back up to temp, but when I finally checked the IT it was about 175, so I pulled it. I can see myself really liking this smoking thing  8)

KyNola

Glad to hear your smoke was a success and that the Rub wasn't overly salty for you.

You can pull those tenderloins out when the IT hits 140F, wrap in foil and place in an empty microwave(don't let anyone turn it on!) to allow the temp to cruise on up to 145F.  They will be extremely juicy, tender and fully cooked.

JackAttack

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I didn't want to keep opening the door and lose my heat to check the temp (a Maverick has been ordered and is in the mail  :P) so when I did check it, it was already higher than what I wanted. The one half, that was closest to the heating element was a bit dry, but the other was awesome!