Chicken Thighs and Jans Rub

Started by Turok, November 01, 2014, 02:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turok

Picked up everything for Jans Rub and some thighs for a smoke today. Just wondering how much to put on. I know some people put on a thick layer, but don't want to over do it.

General idea is to rinse the chicken, pat it somewhat dry, coat the chicken with the rub, fire it into the smoker at 225ish until it hit's 165f. Sound about right?

Neil

KyNola

Neil, my wife is the Jan of Jan's Rub.  We developed the Rub specifically for poultry but it took on a life of its own.  Here is what we do.  Rinse the poultry, pat dry, rub a bit of vegetable oil onto the poultry and then add the Rub.  You can be liberal.  It won't overpower the poultry.

Your cooking temps are ok.

Turok

A tip of the hat to Miss Jan. I was a little concerned that it was going to be salty and a bit sweet. In reality it was neither. It was very well balanced.

The first time I make a recipe I like to make it as it was originally written. Then if I feel the need to make changes, I can do so based on my own taste and based on a recipe as intended. In this case the only thing I'm going to change is to add a bit of my own Jolokia hot pepper powder. We really love heat around here.

I'll definitely be using the rub again in the future. I'll be a bit more liberal with it as well. As you said, it doesn't overpower poultry.

Neil

Turok

A few pictures.

The Rub.

Chicken prep before going into the smoker.

Chicken after smoking for 2 hours. Just at 150f then into the oven to crisp the skin. Turned out perfectly cooked and super moist.

Neil

KyNola

RedJada

Looks like you have a few extras. Feel free to PM me for my address, I can help take a couple of them off your hands. ;D